What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Space/Availability - Ft Riley/Manhattan, Kansas??

FlyArmy

Well Known Member
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows of a place to keep an RV near Ft. Riley or Manhattan, KS? I've been on the waiting list for about 3 or 4 months at MHK and haven't moved up one spot (still at 13), so I'm looking for alternatives.

I don't move out there for a few months, but want to make provisions so a tornado/hail doesn't destroy this -8 I am in the process of buying.

Has anyone kept an RV outside waiting for a hangar? I think I'd hangar it really far away before I would leave it on a ramp at a closer airport...

Thanks!
Ryan

Ryan,

Try Herington or Abilene.
Might have space.
How about Junction on the northeast side.

Wamego (69K) is a nice little airport about 20 miles to the East. All privately owned hangars, but perhaps a call to the airport board would reveal someone who might have extra room for an 8. There's not much going on out there ever since they kicked the KSU Parachute Club off the field.

Ryan,

Get anywhere yet? I would also suggest Wamego or Abilene for closer airports. But, while a little far away I know you could get in at Emporia.

If you're wanting to stay closer you may want to check with Gordon at Heartland there at MHK. Gordon is a good guy and if he can't help, might be able to point you in the right direction. If I remember correctly the city runs the T-hangers and about 6 years ago it was a $350 (?) deposit to reserve a spot and over a year wait.

Good luck and welcome to the Flint Hills.

Hey I've tried just about everything within an hours drive. There is a 60x60 hangar at Abilene for sale listed at $140k, that's the best I've found. I don't actually move there until May or June. I've been on the t-hangar wait list for about 6 months at MHK and haven't moved up one spot (#13). I may end up buying that 60x60 or driving really far. I've thought about trying to build a set of t-hangars and selling or renting them, but that would take some time and a lot of effort, and I'm not even there yet to try to get the ball rolling on that. I'm hoping something works out over the next few months. I have a friend supposedly looking for me to see if he can't find someone that can house an 8. If nothing works out, I'll check with Emporia! Thanks.

Ryan

Back