What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hand squeezer needed?

RScott

Well Known Member
On the wings there are some places where the instructions specifically say to hand squeeze (or was it dimple? I forget). In doing so, I can see why, because with my pneumatic squeezer it would be easy to mess up expensive parts.

I borrowed the hand squeezer I am using.

Will I need to hand squeeze or dimple in some places on the fuselage? In other words, should I buy a hand squeezer?

Thanks.

Dick Scott
RV-9A wings

Yes. Having borrowed one should be evidence enough.

The clunkiness and umbilical cord of a pneumatic limit its utility in tighter spaces. The hand squeezer can be put into service nearly instantly, without fussy closure adjustment, for those few and varying rivet needs that more often pop up as you progress from the production-oriented wings.

Each has a use, but I think if only one squeezer was in your inventory, it should be an Armstrong. The pneumatic is, in my mind, ancillary.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

We have both, and have rarely used the hand squeezer. If I had my time again I wouldn't have bought one. Anywhere you can't get in with the pneumatic you can buck - and the places where you can get the hand squeezer in but not the pneumatic are very few.

I have never had the opportunity to use a hand squeezer - got such a great deal on a pneumatic that I bought it and built the entire airplane that way.

However, mine was a QB, so a LOT of th erivetting was already done for me....

Paul

Like Paul, I have only the pneumatic squeezer, and so far haven't encountered a spot where I feel a hand squeezer would work where the pneumatic wouldn't. Rather than buy a hand squeezer, I'd spend the money on another squeezer yoke (I have a total of four). I have the adjustable set holder so setup is quick and easy, and the trigger allows very good control - I can close the sets down slowly on the rivet, giving it the full final sqeeze when I'm satisfied that all is well. Of course you have to pay attention, as with any power tool - you can make a dimpled hole, hole and all, right now.

Hand squeezer only, no pneumatic...

I built my RV-9A the slow way and used the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze" all the way as much as possible. I could have used it more if I had purchased other heads for it for tight places and around some angles, etc. I also used my 2X rivet gun and several styles of bucking bars.

I have tried other people's squeezers. The Cleaveland is the best and requires less muscle power for the amount of force it creates.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
Hobbs = 207.3 hours

Back