What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hall effect and rubber boot

db8

Well Known Member
I am going with the Grand Rapids EFIS. The halls effects (green donut that measures amps) is a little close to the ANL fuse block. When I place a white silicone boot from ACS on the terminal, it goes through the donut (a little -- tial end). I can cut it so it won't go through, but I was wondering if it makes any difference? I would think it wouldn't, but don't want to find out later that it does. Anybody know for sure? Thanks. Dave

Test it

Why not just perform a little test? With the boot off, place a specific load on the battery and watch your ammeter. Install the boot and place that same load on again. Is there any difference in the readings?
Charlie Kuss

"One repeatable test is worth a thousand expert opinions" Robert Nuckolls

When I install the current senor for the GRT I take a rubber cork from a wine bottle and drill a hole in it for the wire and then push the cork into the senor. It holds the senor securely in place quite well.

I could compare the two (with the boot on and off), though it will be a real PITA because of the setup I have. It will be down in the front baggage compartment of the RV-8 along with a bunch of other stuff. I could test it before the final install, but it would be nice if some electrical guru just knew the answer (easy way out)? If nobody knows, I will have to test it (or just cut a small part of the boot so it's not inside the hole). Dave

Back