What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GX60 speed calculation

rmickey

I am interfacing my TruTrak with an Advanced Flight System 5600 EFIS and old Apollo GX60. The GX60 installation manual states that
"When connected properly, the autopilot will show a GPSS valid indication when the aircraft reaches a speed over 5 kts and is navigating to a waypoint"

To test this it says to:
"Taxi the aircraft faster than 5 kts to verify that GPSS is valid via the autopilot annunciation"

My wings and the top skin over the back of the instrument panel are off for ease of messing with wiring and I would like to test the system.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can simulate the 5 kts speed without actually moving the airplane at 5 kts? My fear is that this speed is ground speed as calculated by the GPS and the answer will be "no" and I will have to wait until I put the wings back on and actually taxi it. If that's the case, I will just cleco the top skin on so if I have to get at wiring it will be easier.

Ross Mickey
RV6A
N9PT

No Joy

I will answer my own question. I spoke with an Apollo tech and he told me that there is no way to simulate a GPSS signal with the GX60. Ground speed and a destination are needed for the GPS to generate GPSS data. It is possible to simulate this with the newer GPS's. Oh well, off to plan B.

Ross

Have you tried the simulator mode?

START UP During start up the GX60 will complete an IFR output test if the unit is installed for IFR. A host of other internal checks are completed at the same time. This is a FAA requirement for IFR certification. It takes the unit a minute or so to go through the complete procedure but you can press the "skip" key and by-pass all of this. During the start up mode you can select the "Simulator" mode.

Press the NAV key when you turn the power on...

Last edited:
Back