What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust response

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Patron
Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the rv-12 has a strong gust response in even mild turbulence?. I had a Champ before the RV-12, and it did not seem to bounce around like the -12. I know the rv-12 fly?s faster (130mph vs 90mph), but the wing loading on a Champ is much lower than on an RV-12. ( 7.2lb/ft vs 10.4lb/ft) Is it the airfoil or ?? just me ??.

Hello Tom,
IMHO I think it is both the wing loading and what you are use to. I've read other posts about the bumpy ride of the RV12, and experienced some rides myself which were a bit like rock and roll. But compared to my time in the RV6 it wasn't better or worse in the 12, but in a light aircraft it going to be more sensitive if you will. It's really fun to fly and the bumps are just part of it in any plane.

slow up

Slow down significantly when it gets bumpy. You get a better ride and it lasts longer. We always seem to be in a hurry in our RV's. I am guilty of that too.
So, I just ease back on the power when it gets turbulent... (no shock cooling)
Have FUN !!!

slow up

Slow down significantly when it gets bumpy. You get a better ride and it lasts longer. We always seem to be in a hurry in our RV's. I am guilty of that too.
So, I just ease back on the power when it gets turbulent...
Have FUN !!!

All opf the above and

Yes, it's due in large part to the airfoil. That same airfoil that gets us off the ground in 500-600 feet seems to have a VERY sharp-edged gust response. Pull your belts tight, slow down and think about how much fun it is to leap off the runway when it gets bumpy.

Back