What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guidance literature on propellers

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Sensenich website says:
IF YOUR PROPELLER BEGINS TO SHOW ANY OF THE FOLLOWING DAMAGE, IT SHOULD BE RETIRED FROM SERVICE:
1. A deep cut across the wood grain.
etc, etc......

My question is:
Can anyone tell me where to find the allowable depth/width on cuts, nicks and dents that are allowed to be repaired before you have to retire a prop?

Sensenich website says:
IF YOUR PROPELLER BEGINS TO SHOW ANY OF THE FOLLOWING DAMAGE, IT SHOULD BE RETIRED FROM SERVICE:
1. A deep cut across the wood grain.
etc, etc......

My question is:
Can anyone tell me where to find the allowable depth/width on cuts, nicks and dents that are allowed to be repaired before you have to retire a prop?

The Manufacturer is the only one that can really give you the the answer to this question. Why not ask them?

Yep, found that one, but there are no numbers in there that say something like, "if the cut is X/X" deep and/or x/x" inches wide, it is beyond repair and should be retired."

Is finding those numbers wishful thinking on my part?

Well, its a Colin Walker Prop and unfortunately Mr. Walker has passed on. I also didnt get any propeller paperwork when I bought the propeller from an individual. It didnt have this cut in it when I bought it from him. I have unfortunately cut it myself in a hangar debacle!

Is finding those numbers wishful thinking on my part?

Yep!

You may find some "general" specs somewhere but if it were me, and it was anything other than minor surface damage I'd consult with a wood prop "expert" and get him to look at it before flying it.

I was looking for wood prop repair info a couple of years ago (I had a grainwise crack in my prop) and found that there is very little information available. Even the manufacturer really didn't seem to have a firm response to "What should I do about this?"

If you have a picure, there are knowledgable folks on this forum who *might* offer an opinion.

Propeller Repair

Give me a call and I'll be glad to help. I do Refinish/Repair other Mfgs wood propellers.

Back