What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guess where WE'RE going...?

meadeduck

Well Known Member
On Wednesday we dragged #16 up to Cartersville Airport for it's inspection by Mike Huffman. We just need to re-mate the wings, drain the gas tank, calibrate the Dynon, and some other dumb stuff... I don't think we'll be in the air before the first of the year. We'll keep ya'll posted.
George and Meade

4213225463_61367539b5.jpg

Hey guys

Did you make the trailer special for this job ? ? ? Keep us up to date. Your weather looks a whole bunch better than ours right now ! ! !

John Bender

where we are going...

We joined a group called Georgia Light Sport and they had a trailer that was about 20 feet long that we were able to borrow for the transport. The weather is intermittently nice, about 50 degrees and ok for local work in the air. As I said, I doubt that we'll be in the air before January.
I'm not close to the plane so I don't know if I need to put a new battery pack in the ELT or not. Does anyone happen to know how to determine if I need to replace the battery on the ELT if it's new and never been turned on?
Meade

Last edited:
I'm not close to the plane so I don't know if I need to put a new battery pack in the ELT or not. Does anyone happen to know how to determine if I need to replace the battery on the ELT if it's new and never been turned on?
Meade
There should be sticker with date on it showing you either what is expected life of the battery (and you should replace it when you reach half of it) or the expected date of replacement.

We have several RV's based at Cartersville, 3-4's, 2-8's, 1-6 if I didn't miss anyone. Yell if you need help.

Meade,

Very happy to see it is moving to the airport. Will not be long now. Keep us informed of your progress! 50 degrees is certainly a bit better than our weather here. 2 hours in December, sigh!! Merry Christmas!

We joined a group called Georgia Light Sport and they had a trailer that was about 20 feet long that we were able to borrow for the transport.

George and Meade. That trailer looks just what I need. I plan to enclose it to keep the muck off the plane. Great Pic.... Thanks.:):)

trailer

Our trailer was strictly for transporting; you may want to think about taking the wings off and on every time you want to fly, unless you're not going to be up and flying very much. It 'ain't' as easy as the videos show installing and removing the wings. That space that they allocate for the wing spar needs to be increased by about 5 feet :) to safely install the wings. I've already managed to tear a nice little rip (you won't see it with the wings on) in that gap. Best of luck
Meade
ps Our inspection is going to happen on Wednesday, but the weather is calling for rain so I doubt that we'll get it in the air that day.

It 'ain't' as easy as the videos show installing and removing the wings. That space that they allocate for the wing spar needs to be increased by about 5 feet :) to safely install the wings. I've already managed to tear a nice little rip (you won't see it with the wings on) in that gap.

There was no fancy editing or video manipulation done with the video that is posted online, and it was not "take 37" either (it was actually take 2), and no positioning ques on the ground such as tape marks, etc.
In Fact...it is now easier to install and remove the wings...the yellow prototype did not have the support blocks, so the pins had to be partially inserted to hold the first wing while the second one was being inserted.

The primary consideration is practice, and learning some of the visual ques that can be used to verify alignment. Such as sighting the relationship of the the wing root profile to the outline of the wing root seal on the side of the fuselage.

The more it is done the easier it is.

Yes, with experience it becomes easier provided the wing slots on the left side and the right side have been enlarged in each direction 1/16-3/32". The slot dimensions should be enlarged just a bit! Otherwise, you will tear the slot edges. Hope Van's has seen this suggested improvement that has been mentioned previously.

Its easy if you are accustomed to assembling gliders

You have to remember, Van is a glider pilot, and like most of us, he has lots of practice putting on wings. The -12 isn't that much different. Its easy if you know how to assemble gliders. You'll get some practice and feel quite at home with it soon

Our trailer was strictly for transporting; you may want to think about taking the wings off and on every time you want to fly, unless you're not going to be up and flying very much. It 'ain't' as easy as the videos show installing and removing the wings. That space that they allocate for the wing spar needs to be increased by about 5 feet :) to safely install the wings. I've already managed to tear a nice little rip (you won't see it with the wings on) in that gap. Best of luck
Meade
ps Our inspection is going to happen on Wednesday, but the weather is calling for rain so I doubt that we'll get it in the air that day.

Back