What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX327 Problem?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
My transponder started switching itself off in flight today. I could switch it back on but then it would "die" again after a few minutes. It has been in service for just over 2 years.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

My 327 did that once when I forgot to tighten the locking screw down after installing it. It took a few hours of flight to work loose enough to shut off, but came right back to life when it was pushed into place.

My 327 did that once when I forgot to tighten the locking screw down after installing it. It took a few hours of flight to work loose enough to shut off, but came right back to life when it was pushed into place.

Thanks - I'll check that.

GTX 327 PROBLEMS

Jim
You may wanna check all your terminal's connections.

I had the same problem as you and all it was , was a slightly loose connection to a terminal in the harmess...I had to pull on it to make it come off but it was enough to turn the Txpr off with the engine vibration...Worked fine on the ground with the engine Off...

Good luck

Bruno

Jim
You may wanna check all your terminal's connections.

I had the same problem as you and all it was , was a slightly loose connection to a terminal in the harmess...I had to pull on it to make it come off but it was enough to turn the Txpr off with the engine vibration...Worked fine on the ground with the engine Off...

Good luck

Bruno

Thanks - I'll check that too.

More thoughts?

The GTX327 is connected to a Dynon D100 and uses it as the encoder.

I noticed the transponder problem after I had connected the GPS496 to the D100 in order to get it to calculate and display wind information.

Could there be a "timing" or other signal coming from the GPS, through the EFIS to the transponder?

Just a thought. I'll disconnect the GPS496 and D100 on my next flight and see what happens.

Back