What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX-327 - AK-350 wiring

Robert M

Well Known Member
I am going to combine a Garmin GTX-327 and an Ameri-King AK-350 in my -9. I think I have the the wiring figured out but I was hoping to get someone else to give me their take on my proposed wiring schematic?. Black lines are ground, red lines are power and the blue is data.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/swashplate51/GTX-327_to_AK-350.jpg

GTX-327_to_AK-350.jpg

Thanks

Three changes?

Hi Robert,

I'm now doing the same thing for an RV-10. Neither the Ameri-King nor Garmin interconnect diagrams specifically mention each other, however there appears to be some common terminology for the pin labels. After study of both manuals, I question three of your connections. I don't have the skill to change your drawing, but I believe the correct matches are as follows:

GTX-327 AK-350
Pin 12----Pin 10
Pin 11----Pin 9
Pin 10----Pin 11

Also, I didn't find any references to "strobe" in the Garmin manual so not sure why you're grounding Pin 6 on the AK. Please explain.

GTX-327 AK-350

You are correct, the three leads that you questioned are indeed wrong on my drawing. Sorry about the earlier message as I had not had a chance to look at the "old" drawing that I posted. I have gone back and redrawn the schematic for both the 327 to the 350 and vice versa.

Also, in my preliminary drawing, I did put a ground on the "Strobe (DC ground)" lead but at the time I wasn't sure WHAT that was. That "Strobe (DC ground)" lead has been omitted from my current drawing.

Thanks for the heads up. This is the very reason I posted this information, I was hoping someone would catch a flaw - and you did.

Thanks again.

New Sketch

GTX-327_to_AK-350-1.jpg

I used MS paint to modify your original sketch. I believe you were correct to ground the pink strobe wire. Are we in agreement on this new sketch?

Last edited:
New Sketch

....about that "pink" ground pin, I'm pretty sure it's not needed. Probably won't hurt anything to have it connected. Since I'm going with the Garmin unit as a transponder, I will not be using a strobe system (whatever that means) so there is no need to attach anything to that line.

As for the rest, yup, looks good.

Pin 6, the strobe input, must be grounded to enable the encoder. If you leave it disconnedted the encoder output is disabled.

Ok - good to know. Was that in the manual? I don't remember seeing it. I'll update my current schematic to include the 2nd ground.

Thanks again,

Back