What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200B Help

eavila1

Good morning all. So I powered up my Garmin suite and my GTN 625, ADHRS, G5, G3X Screen, 507, and GTR200B all powered up and all communicating without issue on the Can Bus. All show green checkmarks in the Configuration page for the G3X. Then I checked the 200B to see if i was receiving on incoming calls at my airport SJN. But Nada. So out comes the installation manual and I ran through the setup and headset checks. Made sure antenna was connected, but its loose and not bolted down yet under the 9. The comm shows a transmit X when the copilot panel PTT switch is pushed. I can hear a tone in the headset on the left but none in the right and there is a checkmark on the right headset during the test check. Manual says its because either the headset is mono or there is a wiring problem. Intercom appears to work in the headset but still not receiving incoming transmissions or ASOS etc. I can hear the squelch in the pilot/copilot headsets, so I don't think it is my jack wiring.

Any ideas?. Anybody have the same issue? I'm thinking maybe its a setting that I'm missing. When wiring my headset jacks I must have verified 20 times that the wiring was correct. ??
No error messages on 200B screen

Last edited:
Good morning all. So I powered up my Garmin suite and my GTN 625, ADHRS, G5, G3X Screen, 507, and GTR200B all powered up and all communicating without issue on the Can Bus. All show green checkmarks in the Configuration page for the G3X. Then I checked the 200B to see if i was receiving on incoming calls at my airport SJN. But Nada. So out comes the installation manual and I ran through the setup and headset checks. Made sure antenna was connected, but its loose and not bolted down yet under the 9. The comm shows a transmit X when the copilot panel PTT switch is pushed. I can hear a tone in the headset on the left but none in the right and there is a checkmark on the right headset during the test check. Manual says its because either the headset is mono or there is a wiring problem. Intercom appears to work in the headset but still not receiving incoming transmissions or ASOS etc. I can hear the squelch in the pilot/copilot headsets, so I don't think it is my jack wiring.

Any ideas?. Anybody have the same issue? I'm thinking maybe its a setting that I'm missing. When wiring my headset jacks I must have verified 20 times that the wiring was correct. ??
You say the antenna isn’t bolted down….the antenna need a ground plane to work properly, so you might look into that. Also, if your in a metal hangar, they can block radio signals…

You say the antenna isn’t bolted down….the antenna need a ground plane to work properly, so you might look into that. Also, if your in a metal hangar, they can block radio signals…
Yah I got to thinking that maybe the antenna not bolted under the belly to ground could be the issue Michael. I hope. I'll temporary install it and see. I was going to hold off until painted. My handheld receives no problem in the metal hangar though.

First, try to make sure your antenna is bonded to a ground plane and not loose. That ensures the transmitter doesn't stress.

Does a Bluetooth connection and/or wired audio source provide sound to the 200B you can hear on the pilot and/or passenger headset?

Can another receiver hear your transmission when you transmit?

Did you ring out all circuits, not just the headset connections?

Make sure your Sidetone setting in COM Configuration is set to at least 5.

Still in the COM configuration screen, and assuming you are using the internal GTR intercom and it has been enabled in the AUDIO config screen (default is "off"), Set the Sidetone mode to "ICS" as shown in table 3-4 of the install manual.

Does the passenger headset station transmit correctly with sidetone?

First, try to make sure your antenna is bonded to a ground plane and not loose. That ensures the transmitter doesn't stress.

Does a Bluetooth connection and/or wired audio source provide sound to the 200B you can hear on the pilot and/or passenger headset?

Can another receiver hear your transmission when you transmit?

Did you ring out all circuits, not just the headset connections?

Make sure your Sidetone setting in COM Configuration is set to at least 5.

Still in the COM configuration screen, and assuming you are using the internal GTR intercom and it has been enabled in the AUDIO config screen (default is "off"), Set the Sidetone mode to "ICS" as shown in table 3-4 of the install manual.

Does the passenger headset station transmit correctly with sidetone?
Hey Jim thx for the suggestions. I think my issue may be the antenna ground. I did set the GTR internal Intercom to Audio since I don't have an audio panel or need for one with the GTR200B, but will check the ICS setting you mentioned. I did ring out all the circuits and everything powers up and appears normal on the screen. Passenger does give correct tones. Good idea I'll try the bluetooth music as well to see if I'm getting that
When I get home tonight I will transmit on my handheld and see if I'm receiving....

Last edited:
Make sure the coax wire to the antenna is in good shape and the connectors are properly crimped. I had a bad crimp on mine prior to first flight which I found out after taxiing to the other end of the runway. I got some much needed light gun practice that day.

If your plane is sitting on a concrete pad (with rebar inside), inside the hangar, the rebar could be an issue, particularly if your Comm antenna is mounted on the bottom of the airplane. Might try pulling your plane out on the ramp and find someone with a hand held transceiver, standing about 20 feet away. If the problem persists, move your comm antenna to the top of the fuselage.

Steve

Not sure of the paint color name. Cascade Customs and Designs painted it. There in Bend, OR
You may want to get the color names and paint codes for later touch up, and put them in the logbook. I would think they would also be on your invoice.

When re-wiring a GTR200B to put in an audio panel, I discovered it had no output at "Audio Out", until I disabled the internal intercom.
Are you headsets wired to the "headset" outputs, or to the "audio out" output?

When re-wiring a GTR200B to put in an audio panel, I discovered it had no output at "Audio Out", until I disabled the internal intercom.
Are you headsets wired to the "headset" outputs, or to the "audio out" output?
I wired it per Appendix D 460 Can Bus Interconnect to GTR200B. I have no audio panel so I activated the internal intercom. But I will try to disable and see if that works

I wired it per Appendix D 460 Can Bus Interconnect to GTR200B. I have no audio panel so I activated the internal intercom. But I will try to disable and see if that works
OK, so nothing on pin 10 audio out.
In that case you are using the internal intercom, and in the setup menu you need the internal intercom enabled. Page 3-9 in the manual.

Can you hear yourself when you talk?
Can two headsets hear and talk to each other?

OK, so nothing on pin 10 audio out.
In that case you are using the internal intercom, and in the setup menu you need the internal intercom enabled. Page 3-9 in the manual.

Can you hear yourself when you talk?
Can two headsets hear and talk to each other?
No I have no pin 10 from the GTR going anywhere. I think I can hear myself. LOL. Sound like the intercom is working. I can definitely hear the voices in my head ...haha just kidding

I'll take my other headset out to the hangar and test it with my current one.
I appreciate all the help folks

Back