What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200 - GTR 255 Harness Interchange

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

I'm just planning my avionics and was already thinking about future upgrades (Canadian dollar exchange rate is painful).

My plan to start with a single Comm (GTR200) within a G3X/GTN 625 setup. Hopefully several years down the road I'd upgrade my aircraft to be IFR capable. At that point I'd like swap out my GTR 200 to a GTR 255 to get a second Nav source and remote mount a second comm (GTR 20) with a audio panel (GMA245R). This way the instrument panel will not have to be re-done or modded.

My question is will a connector built for 255 work with a 200? Is using the intercom feature of the GTR200 going to work with a unused audio panel connector in the initial setup?

Thanks Jim

Hi,

I'm just planning my avionics and was already thinking about future upgrades (Canadian dollar exchange rate is painful).

My plan to start with a single Comm (GTR200) within a G3X/GTN 625 setup. Hopefully several years down the road I'd upgrade my aircraft to be IFR capable. At that point I'd like swap out my GTR 200 to a GTR 255 to get a second Nav source and remote mount a second comm (GTR 20) with a audio panel (GMA245R). This way the instrument panel will not have to be re-done or modded.

My question is will a connector built for 255 work with a 200? Is using the intercom feature of the GTR200 going to work with a unused audio panel connector in the initial setup?

Thanks Jim

Hello Jim,

The GNC 255 NAV/COM is not plug/rack compatible with the GTR200 COM radio/intercom, but if you are going to add an audio panel in the future to support dual-com (good idea), then you will be re-wiring the headset and other audio anyway.

Another option to consider (at that point in the future when you want to add a GNC 255) is to keep the GTR200 and add the GMA 245/245R audio panel and the GNC 255. This would give you a second COM (in the GNC 255) without having to add a GTR 20.

There are any number of options, but if you install the GMA 245 or 245R audio panel up front, you can wire up all your headset, alert and other audio to the audio panel, connect the GTR 200, and then it is simpler to add a second COM radio in the future with relatively simple wiring changes.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for a quick response (Sunday no less!). I hadn't thought of the re-wiring issues with headsets/audio functions going from the internal intercom to a audio panel in the future.

If I start with off with GTR 200/GMA245R setup, could I use the "200" connector on a GTR20 remote later on and install the GNC255 in the open slot in the panel with a "new" connector to service it?

Thanks Jim

Hi Steve,

Thanks for a quick response (Sunday no less!). I hadn't thought of the re-wiring issues with headsets/audio functions going from the internal intercom to a audio panel in the future.

If I start with off with GTR 200/GMA245R setup, could I use the "200" connector on a GTR20 remote later on and install the GNC255 in the open slot in the panel with a "new" connector to service it?

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, the GTR 200 and GTR 20 have the same connector and wiring, so switching from a GTR 200 to a GTR 20 would be very simple if that is what you want to do.

Once you get use to having the dedicated volume knob and other button/knob features of the GTR 200, you may not not want to switch to a GTR 20!

Thanks,
Steve

Back