What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200 amp draw while transmitting?

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I fired up my GTR 200 for the first time and went through the series of checks. Amp draw hit 3.83 amps max while transmitting. Is this a reasonable number? Right now I have it protected with a 5-amp fuse, but am wondering if I should go with a 7.5. Thanks!

In the installation manual, I read 7.5A circuit protection is needed.

We fired ours up tonight too, btw! Crystal clear stereo intercom between Pilot and Co-Pilot and we played music through the audio in. It sounded awesome!!!

I can't wait to test it in the air tomorrow after we button up a few things!

Stereo intercom

Wow, what an upgrade! Stereo intercom is very nice, remember to switch your headset to "stereo mode" if you have one that will support it. On our Bose X and Bose A20 headsets the little dip switch was in under the batteries.

I love the features the GTR 200 has...we'll only be using a few of them. Built in intercom is very nice, audio in, monitor secondary freq, bright readable display and available wiring harness when ordered from Aircraft Spruce...all exactly what we were looking for in a radio for our RV-4.

We'll run down a list of our settings once we get to play with it a little in flight.

The fuse protects the wire! What gauge wire runs from the fuse to the radio?

Bob, I'm not exactly sure. I bought a prewired harness from ACS, so I'm sure it's sufficient.

Whirlygirl, thanks for the fuse rating...must've missed it while reading the manual. I'm glad you like yours. I need to test out the music. Agree on the intercom, amazing clarity. Even in my garage, I was able to reach a pilot in the local practice area during a radio check.

I re-read what I found in the manual, it actually just says 7.5A max current draw, not the amount of protection like I said before.

We also ordered the 2-place harness already complete from ACS...the power and ground wires are 18 gauge, the headset wires are 20 and the PTT are 22.

We have the wiring protected by a 10A CB.

Wow, what an upgrade! Stereo intercom is very nice, remember to switch your headset to "stereo mode" if you have one that will support it.

This is the standard radio issued for the RV-12. I recently changed the wiring for the music IN jack per the Garmin wiring manual. The quality of the music is outstanding. I use my iPhone and just love it. The radio is really nice, I'm sure you guys will love it.

The fuse protects the wire! What gauge wire runs from the fuse to the radio?

True but the CB is there to protect both the wire and the unit. If you ran an oversize wire to unit that would be ok but that doesn't mean you can run a higher amperage CB.

First of all I know Bob knows this, but for the benefit of others who might have a lesser understanding of electrical circuits the saying "the fuse protects the wire" is an over simplification of what is really the intent of a fuse or a circuit breaker. What it really means is the wire needs to be able to carry the current that the protection device(cb or fuse) is rated at. Otherwise the wire will begin to overheat and depending on the overload possibly have the insulation melt. So given the wire can support the load current of the protection device then everything is cool. At a current above the rating of the protection device it will open, the wire will be fine. That means that the unit being powered correctly if it's operating current maximum is below the rating of the protection device.

Back