What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 650 dimming problem

cardinalflier

Well Known Member
I own an RV6 (which I love), and a Cessna Cardinal. A couple of months ago I had a small, local, avionics shop install a GTN650 in my Cardinal, When flying a couple of days ago, shooting several practice approaches, my screen dimmed SEVERAL times. The screen would take 3-4 seconds to gradually go dim, stay dim (not readable, but not totally gone), for 5-10 seconds, and then take 3-4 seconds to gradually come back. My safety pilot was wearing a bright white shirt,it was a bright day, and the Garmin would go from direct sunlight to shadows as I maneuvered the Cardinal. This happened approximately 20 times during a 1.5 hour flight. The installing tech looked at the unit yesterday, took a lot of photos of the GTN setup pages relating to the photocell, and is going to call Garmin tomorrow. Because of other issues I've had with this install, I don't have a lot of faith in the tech to solve the problem. Any thoughts? Bruce

Back