What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GSU 25C Orientation?

Duhg

Well Known Member
In the process of planning out avionics locations and I'm a little stuck on the GSU (in an RV-8). The manual recommends not mounting with lines pointed up for moisture concerns. Is this an issue when the GSU is already higher than all the external ports and almost all of the line? Lines up seems to be the easiest and most secure orientation.

In the process of planning out avionics locations and I'm a little stuck on the GSU (in an RV-8). The manual recommends not mounting with lines pointed up for moisture concerns. Is this an issue when the GSU is already higher than all the external ports and almost all of the line? Lines up seems to be the easiest and most secure orientation.

I suspect that concern is condensation (after this forms, the water tends to coalesce and gravity moves it downward) and not water ingress. Likely the solid state sensor can handle very little water. If you install pointing up, put 90* PTC elbows into the 25 and make sure the tubing goes downward a few degrees, immediately, from that point and I don't see how you could get much water from condensation; At least no more than would come from a horizontal tube installation. As long as the 25 is a foot or two above the low point of the tubing, I don't see how water can be pushed into the 25, other than condensation.

Larry

Last edited:
I suspect that concern is condensation (after this forms, the water tends to coalesce and gravity moves it downward) and not water ingress. Likely the solid state sensor can handle very little water. If you install pointing up, put 90* PTC elbows into the 25 and make sure the tubing goes downward a few degrees, immediately, from that point and I don't see how you could get much water from condensation; At least no more than would come from a horizontal tube installation. As long as the 25 is a foot or two above the low point of the tubing, I don't see how water can be pushed into the 25, other than condensation.

Larry

Thanks Larry, the elbows are a good idea.

Back