What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GS/LOC/VOR Archer Antenna connect to G430

vmaxrv7

Patron
I have a Bob Archer antenna in the wing tip and the coax cable going to a Garmin 430 WAAS in my recently purchased RV-10 with 49 hours TT. Unfortunately, the builder/owner is not available to answer questions.

There is no signal going to the Garmin and I do not see an external splitter.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to set this up? Avionics is my weakest skillset.

Vmax
RV-10

Installation Manual

You could check the wingtip installation vs. the instructions. Perhaps a wire has come loose.
See Attached.

Attachments

• Archer Wingtip SA001.pdf
    230 KB · Views: 23
Given the lack of info, I’m not sure where to start, but here’s what I’d do.
If the builder gave you any schematics or wiring diagrams, start there.
The 430W has two separate coax inputs on the back, one for VOR/LOC and the other for glide slope. There should be coax cables connected to both: either from the Archer thru a splitter (‘diplexer’). Or maybe the builder put in a separate GS antenna (somewhat unusual). Get on your back, head down, maybe with a mirror, and confirm there are two coax connections to the GS and VOR (look at a picture first so you know where to look.) on the back of the 430W. If you can find the splitter (trace the coax back) make sure the connections are correct (antenna, GS, and VOR-LOC).
Go out to the wingtip, take it off, compare everything to the Archer set up diagrams (see last post). I’ve seen all sorts of crazy stuff, including riveting the radiating leg to the end rib instead of the ground leg.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back