What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grumble...

John Courte

Well Known Member
Tip for tip-up taildragger people about to stick the wings on:

Where the tip-up canopy meets the roll bar and the aft top skin, there lies in wait the ruination of a whole day.

I'm talking about that little corner of the skin where the two screws hold it on to the roll bar.

You'll have been used to working with this, your canopy closes, opens, and the canopy skirt overlaps it just like it's supposed to and everything seems fine.

But hooray for you, you're at the airport and you put the wings on for final assembly. Now you get to spend a lot of time clambering up in and out of the cockpit by stepping on the wings and by stepping down from them to dismount the airplane. This is the subject of today's rant.

You will need to be VERY VERY careful not to catch jeans, a belt, a shirt, a shoe, or even a donut-enhanced fold of skin on that little corner of aluminum or, to quote Walter in The Big Lebowski, you are entering a world of pain.

I like to think of myself as somewhat limber, being an 8-year student of Aircraft Tailcone Yoga, but after a few runs in and out of the cockpit for one forgotten tool or other, even the catlike ninja reflexes get dull, and the fatigue poisons degrade performance to that of a guy finishing a 12-hour shift on the docks and a 4 hour shift in the bar.

Yesterday, climbing out of the cockpit, my belt and t-shirt caught on that vile little piece of aluminum and bent it over like the corner of the saucy page of a cheap pulp novel.

The intersecting set of days and days I get to spend at the airport is vanishingly small. So when I create myself a two to three hour job fixing something that was caused by the collision of me being uncoordinated and a design that requires care on the part of those nearby, it makes me rethink my decision to go forward with an airplane instead of buying a sailboat and a couple of cases of beer.

Ouch.

The only pearls I can bestow are the realization that the beer will go faster than the plane and the plane will go much faster than the boat.

I feel your pain, I have had a passenger catch their jacket on that little tab, luckily it only bent out a little and did not crease so could easily be manhandled back into position, but it sure ruins your day.

Cheers

"...the saucy page of a cheap pulp novel."

Made me remember page 85 of the paperback version of "Battle Cry", by Leon Uris. All the guys had that page corner folded over in 1955. It was, of course, pretty tame by today's standards, or lack thereof.

Gotta go, taking off for OSH early in the morning.

Yeah, well, if it's any consolation, the sliders have a similar problem. They have a 0.032 skirt along the bottom that overlaps the fuselage when the canopy is closed. I rounded my leading edge off at the bottom (with a ~0.25 radius) and it still catches Levi's and skin and whatever.

The solution was to remove all the fasteners in the area, peel it back, and hammer it flat against a back-rivet plate, held in one hand. The main issue was isolating it from the plexi so my ministrations didn't crack the canopy.

It's more or less back to the way it was, but it'll never be the same. Here's hoping paint, filler, and distance can make it less noticeable.

Can you not slip in a small piece of 3M acrylc based double sided tape bonding it to the roll bar ? That should secure it - Then taper the top part of the alu in to the roll bar so you have nothing to catch on ? I am not at this stage of the build so maybe its not practical - but looking at your photo from the link below your signature I would have thought this would be possible

Jan,

something like that would work, I believe, but the issue then is the canopy side skirts. They would have to extend back to cover the area then exposed by tapering the protruding corner. If it comes to that, i'll do it, but making new canopy side skirts with a new length is something I'm hoping to avoid.

Back