What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grt magnetometer or old school?

coffeeboy

I'm New Here
I've been in the process of a complete panel overhaul/IFR upgrade (custom etched panel, second grt horizon screen, garmin 650, etc) but I just realized my RV6A doesn't have a digital magnetometer installed (I'm not the original builder).

Since I have to have a magnetic direction indicator, is it worth it to buy the grt digital one or should I just get an old fashion wet compass? How difficult would it be to install in an already flying RV6A?

Within the last month I received all my GRT components and have since ordered the magnetometer. Im going to mount mine under the tail fairing on the deck. Jon at GRT said to run 3 /22g wires to the rear. Within the wing is another mounting option.
They are 50. dollars off if you purchase before the 4th I believe. I picked one up at Oshkosh and they are super light weight.
A

Within the last month I received all my GRT components and have since ordered the magnetometer. Im going to mount mine under the tail fairing on the deck. Jon at GRT said to run 3 /22g wires to the rear. Within the wing is another mounting option.
They are 50. dollars off if you purchase before the 4th I believe. I picked one up at Oshkosh and they are super light weight.
A
I really like the idea of under the tail fairing, seems a lot easier than trying to get it in the wing. What plane are you installing it in? I'd love to talk to you throughout your progress!

RV7..... Pm me your number and I can text you updates if you would like. Just getting started. All the avionics were at my house right before I left for Oshkosh. Took me two days to recuperate from the long drive home. 1900 miles 2.5 days....hahahah

I'll just add that GRT has a machined aluminum OAT probe for 107. that can work with your EFIS or EIS.

Last edited:
Back