What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HX "noise"

abrandt

I have a couple of GRT HXs and have noticed some noise in my headsets. I believe I have also been able to single out what the cause is and am curious if any other HX users have experienced the same. What I have noticed is that when the HX closest to the radio stack (~1.5 inch horz. separation) displays the synthetic vision, or at least a busy color screen, the noise is apparent. When I display a screen that is primarily black, ie. one that I might pick airport information from, the noise disappears. I find it odd that a color screen could be the culprit and figure it is more of a wire routing issue I created but then, I'm no EE. Any responses are appreciated as I have not found a solution.
Some further troubleshooting now leads me to believe that it is my USB connection from the WX Works box. I can twist / wiggle the cable ever so slightly and my "noise" responds accordingly. Thanks for the quick response Paul. I'll pose the obvious question now... Anyone out there have a similar experience with their WX Works box and its USB cable.

Last edited:
Just one data point Andrew, but I have no detectable noise in the headset from my HX's as they power up or change displays. I would bet it's a wire rotuign or shielding thing.

Paul

EFIS HX buzz

I turn on HX after start and do not notice EFIS buzz. But, a buzz is barely noticeable after the engine stops with the EFIS still powered after flight. More: During construction, had connected HX audio output (connector B, pin 24) to the intercom in hopes that GRT would finally support voice warnings after waiting over 6 years for them. The buzz was so bad that I broke the connection (removed the pin at the EFIS end). That may have been an over reaction on my part because engine noise may have masked the buzz; but, in a quiet garage, it was very irritating. Did not try to trouble shoot.

John Nystrom
RV-7A, N7VD
RV-3B, N3NU

Back