What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS 4000 Serial IN

Hello, I am in the final stages of my wiring. I have two wires left for the GRT EIS4000, Serial IN and Audio OUT. Questions, where does the Serial IN come from and what additional information does it provide? Regarding the Audio OUT, is that for a "warning" tone to the intercom? Thanks for your help. Chuck

Hello, I am in the final stages of my wiring. I have two wires left for the GRT EIS4000, Serial IN and Audio OUT. Questions, where does the Serial IN come from and what additional information does it provide? Regarding the Audio OUT, is that for a "warning" tone to the intercom? Thanks for your help. Chuck

The EIS serial in would go to a serial (RS232) ‘out’ on the efis. It’s only use is to simplify a software upgrade for the EIS. (Software on a memory stick, stick into UsB port on efis, then transferred over rs232 connection to EIS. However, the eis software is very basic, I don’t think there have been any changes in over a dozen years. I didn’t bother hooking it up, so far I haven’t needed it.
I don’t know or remember about the audio out. Note, if connecting to a GRT EFIS, it will generate a voice warning (‘oil pressure’, for example) for engine data that are out of limits. So again, I didn’t hook it up.

Thank you Bob! That is what I needed to know. I have the EIS in an easy-to-access place, so updates would be easy. I wired the warning light, so I should not need another alarm feature.

Ummm this isn't quite right... The Serial IN can be used to control some limits settings in the EIS. For some, especially those who have mounted the EIS in a remote location where its display and buttons are not available, using the EFIS to control the settings of the EIS is a very valuable feature. For those who have installed the EIS-66R (remote mount unit) the Serial IN is a critical feature is it provides the only way to configure the EIS.

Back