What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove wheels with Mobil 28 grease

docjjrmd

Benefactor
Deciding to let my frustrations settle this weekend dealing with fuel lines, I thought I would mount tires to wheels. Matco nose wheel no issues. I opted for Grove wheels and when I got the package opened the bearings are covered with a plastic cap with a label on it that says Mobil 28 grease. The KAI's indicate to use Aeroshell 22 a commonly used and widely available grease. A bit of research indicates that the two products are equivalent and meet the various specifications but I could find nothing about compatibility. Aeroshell 22 is available locally, not so much Mobil 28. If switching requires cleaning the Mobil out of the bearings I'll just go to Mobil 28 and make notes in the appropriate places for future reference. Anybody have any insight? My experience with grease tends to be with black or green sticky stuff used on tractors and farm implements. :>) - JJR

Attachments

• Mobil 28 Grease.jpg
    Mobil 28 Grease.jpg
    912.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Grove wheel bearing.jpg
    Grove wheel bearing.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 6
Deciding to let my frustrations settle this weekend dealing with fuel lines, I thought I would mount tires to wheels. Matco nose wheel no issues. I opted for Grove wheels and when I got the package opened the bearings are covered with a plastic cap with a label on it that says Mobil 28 grease. The KAI's indicate to use Aeroshell 22 a commonly used and widely available grease. A bit of research indicates that the two products are equivalent and meet the various specifications but I could find nothing about compatibility. Aeroshell 22 is available locally, not so much Mobil 28. If switching requires cleaning the Mobil out of the bearings I'll just go to Mobil 28 and make notes in the appropriate places for future reference. Anybody have any insight? My experience with grease tends to be with black or green sticky stuff used on tractors and farm implements. :>) - JJR
From the Grove website: https://www.groveaircraft.com/brakeinstall.html

"Lubricate Wheel Bearings — Grove Aircraft wheels are shipped with only a light protective coating of Aeroshell-22 grease on the bearings. Prior to use on the aircraft, you must remove and lubricate both tapered roller bearings on each wheel, using Aeroshell-22 or Mobil 28 grease. You may also use the newer Mobil SHC 100, but because it is not compatible with other grease, the bearings and races must be thoroughly cleaned before application."

Looks like they changed their “light protective coating” from Aeroshell 22 to Mobil 28, but it seems they are compatible.

Back