What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

grove wheel kit

6 Gun

Well Known Member
just finshed installing grove nose wheel kit on 6a and it was worth the time and money spent
it spins with no drag this is after installing new nose gear yoke and up dated leg
im still not sure how the new leg is going to work out but time will tell
bob

Grove Nosewheel

Just curious, did you get the aluminum or magnesium wheel?
You say it spins freely.....you can actually get the wheel spinning by hand and it continues to rotate freely or only when you're lightly spinning it?

grove

magnesium when i said freely i should have said it spins 3 to 4 turns per spin and it spins with a very light touch and thats with a standard auto grease not a light weight grease
the old wheel if spun it hard would only rotate 3/4 of a turn but i felt the drag
was causing it to set up the leg to shimmy with the drag as the new leg is designed to flex at lower bend if i read it right and the drag i thought was causing it to tuck and start a shimmy
no shimmy with new wheel
also the girl i talked to at grove said you must have an rv-6 when i ask about pricing she said they had sold over 50 in last 2 weeks so i thought 50 people know more that me so it was a no brainer
bob

Grove Wheel

Thanks for the info!
I ordered my mag nosewheel today. She told me the same thing, they have been selling to many RV'ers in the last few weeks.

Which one is everyone buying?

Been following this with a little interest as I know there is an issue with rotating bushungs on the stock setup.

What wheel are you ordering and what spacer assembly are you using for this set-up?

I talked to Gail at Grove Aircraft and this is what I bougt. $299.00
Rich,

"The part number is 59-2M-RV @ 299.00
You will only find PN: 59-2M Nose wheel on the web page.
The " -RV " indicates that you will receive the axle assy for the vans model aircrafts."

Gail

What advantage

Can someone who has bought the Grove wheel explain what advantage it has over modifying the Matco. I've read the never ending debates and determined it was relatively easy to fix the drag issue. I made up an alum spacer to fit over the axle between between the two mushrooms. It took some minor width adjustments to get the correct bearing preload. Now my wheel spins freely independant of how tight the axle nut is. I also cut back the dust seal and staked the mushrooms. I'm not flying yet so this isn't real life tested. Maybe someone else can chime in who has modified the Matco on a flying RV. Are there other advantages to the Grove that make it worth the cost.

No advantage

Bean,
I don't see any advantage to spending $$ on the Grove setup. I've got an alum spacer over the axle bolt that allows me to torque the bolt to spec and still let the wheel spin freely. Taxi, take-off, and landing are fine with no shimmy using this spacer with the standard Matco wheel.

Chuck Olsen
RV-7A
Tehachapi

Spacer question

What size tubing did you use for the spacer ? Is it something you made yourself or a off the shelf purchase that you cut down? Just thought I could plan ahead before taking the wheel off.

Thanks

check your pm's
What size tubing did you use for the spacer ? Is it something you made yourself or a off the shelf purchase that you cut down? Just thought I could plan ahead before taking the wheel off.

Thanks

re: spacer

I would be interested in knowing the size also. Could you post your answer on the thread?

A friend of mine at the airport created the spacer. I don't have the exact size and would have to remove the wheel to measure. It was about 2 inches long and maybe 3/4" diameter. Just long enough to allow the axle nut to compress on it instead of the bearings. You would have to take your own measurements to arrive the specific length for your particular set-up. The gentleman that created the spacer also put the mushrooms on a lathe and cut a slight indent to keep the spacer centered during install. This is not essential, but it helps keep the spacer centered when installing the wheel on the fork. I'm not up to speed on posting pics, but look at this website for a pic of the wheel with the spacer inserted just prior to installing on the fork. Sorry about the goofy imageshack advertising stuff around the pic.
Chuck

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nosewheelmod004xz0.jpg

Rolling freely now---->

I would be interested in knowing the size also. Could you post your answer on the thread?

I turned a spacer on my lathe, it ended up- 1.324" long. Made from 1.25 diameter aluminum stock. (Van's stock wheel with mushrooms)
Without the spacer my nose wheel was not turning very well even with zero torque on the axle nut! A easy fix.:)

Chuck & Frank,
Thanks for the pic and info. Any additional pictures from anyone would be very helpful for me as I think through this issue for my airplane.

I know this is an old post, but I'm finishing up nosegear stuff and this looks like an easy mod...two questions...

1. Did it work, if you did it?
2. What alloy for the spacer... 2024 or 6061?

not as old as I

I used 6061. Thick walled tube from your favorite vendor would work, not a lot of pressure there.
Yup still "workin" spins free. :)

Back