What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Replacement Nose Wheel

Mitch757

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi All,
Since my neighbor has a nice RV-7a with the unmodified nose fork, I encouraged him to upgrade it as a safety measure. He started by ordering the Grove "drop-in" nose wheel for $299. It arrived today and we were surprised to learn that it is not the same size as the original! It is a 5.00 x size! Before we try fitting it (and a new tire) into the fork/wheel pant, I'd like to ask if any others have installed the Grove 59-2M wheel? The Grove kit number is 55-2m-RV.

Thanks!

Mitch Garner
RV-4 flying
PL-4 flying

As they say in football: "After further review....." and actually measuring the old nose wheel...The Grove wheel is the same size...and of beautiful quality construction! I just don't get around nose draggers very much....ggg

Mitch Garner
RV-4 flying
PL-4 flying

Hi Mitch,

I recently replaced my Matco nose wheel/bearing assembly with the Grove on my 9a---I also used the same tire/tube---it fit perfectly. It also eliminated a slight nose wheel shimmy.

Cheers,

db

For those of you who have put the Grove wheel on the nose, did you notice if the bead of the tire fit better than on the Matco? The beads on the Matco don't seat even up to 80 psi (put the rim in the vise...). They appeared to seat, but upon deflation, it could be seen that there is about an 1/8" gap. That is probably why it is such a bugger to get the beads unstuck when changing tires or tubes.

Hi Alex,

I also had a heck of a time getting my first nose tire to seat on my Matco wheel. After much work we did finally get it seated, however the tire was so far out of round that I ordered another identical tire at 25 hrs. The second tire seated very easily on the Matco (it was a bear getting the old one off) and that same tire is now mounted on the new Grove wheel. I was dealing with a poor QC issue on the original tire--have you tried another tire??

All the Best!

Cheers,

db

NICE

Today we replaced a Vans nose wheel with the Grove wheel on a 7A. It's hard to believe the difference in the feel. The wheel spins free, the pulsing back and fourth of the gear leg is gone. Larry

Back