What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove gear and brake caliper question

REDII

I’m hoping to get some insight and advice on whether or not this is an issue. I just installed the brake line from my gun drilled Grove gear to my Matco brake calipers. It appears that the Grove gear was drilled off center and the fitting is just overlapping the front bracket of the puck housing. It appears that the puck housing is stationary and fixed to the brake plate and shouldn’t interfere with the fitting, but I’m no expert. I am not sure how I would get more clearance between the two other than mill down the puck housing bracket. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpeg
    IMG_3637.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3639.jpeg
    IMG_3639.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
The caliper floats, must be free to move in/out on the guide pins.
Maybe going to -3 fittings would help.
That’s what I was thinking. When I pressed the brake, the upper part of the caliper moved but the lower caliper appeared to be impinging on the fitting.

That’s what I was thinking. When I pressed the brake, the upper part of the caliper moved but the lower caliper appeared to be impinging on the fitting.
We found that there was 2 different caliper bodies/mounts. The ones in the pics using -4 hose and fittings, are for the caliper marked PH8A. The PH1 caliper has to use -3 hoses with that hose configuration because the mounting ears are so close to the lower gear leg port. Matco told us they were the same, but something is different. With the PH1 caliper, we may have to route the hose forward and route up to the caliper. Somewhere around 14 inches. With this routing it does expose the hose to potential brake rotor heat.

Attachments

• Grove-Matco PH8.jpg
    Grove-Matco PH8.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 8
  • RV8 Grove gear hoses.jpg
    RV8 Grove gear hoses.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 8
Back