What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground the Shield?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
What is exactly meant by the term "ground the shield" or "shield to ground"?

I think a picture would be worth a thousand words here. Or if anyone can explain or have a link to some instructions on how to properly carry out this task it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
shield

Lets say you want to install the ground wire on a slick mag. Starting a couple inches from the end of the wire, work an awl thru the shielded portion and keep enlargeing the hole. Bend the wire almost 180 degrees at the hole and work the inner wire thru the hole. Twist the end of the shield. Measure how much wire and shield you need and trim the wire and the shield. Install ring terminals on wire and shield. Mag wires shield is grounded at mag only NOT at switch.

Along with the pictures, remember, in general, and simplified, the purpose for grounding the shield on a shielded cable is to protect the wires within the shield from external interference (i.e. communication signals), or to keep interference from escaping the wire within the shield (i.e. ignition signals). The shield captures undesirable interference and then provides the opportunity to drain it to ground. Ground the shield more than once in it's length and that portion between the points grounded will tend to act like an antenna. It's generally most effective to ground the shield once, at either end, and it then becomes a drain.

Back