What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Test Frequencies

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
Since I'm sick at home today with the flu and resisting going to the hangar I have time to ponder future events. As I was looking at the OP32 fuel system drawing I started wondering about my first engine start test. In my Walter Mittyish mode fueled by cold meds, I started thinking I would want Com with my ground crew. Then I could quickly shutdown in the event of a major problem like a fuel leak.

So... What would be the appropriate frequency for such communication?

For first engine run I never use a headset even. I have a few people watching from different angles, at least one with a good fire extinguisher, and have them signal me to shut down is they see a problem.

I agree with Jesse on this one.

I had fire extinguishers on each wing tip and in the cockpit with me.

Ron Schreck is looking at the engine while Tad Sargent and Radomir Zaricare are looking intently at the engine monitor in this picture:

(Click to enlarge)

What you can't see is that I don't have headsets on; however, the plane is primed, the wings are on, it is chocked, it is tied to my truck, and I have clean underwear on.

Ok so maybe Com isn't needed. I liked the comments you guys had. I've seen a few you tube videos where the ground crew seems more interested in getting the video than ensuring a safe test. Luckily everything seemed to go ok.

Ray,

As suggested above I would work out simple hand signals with the ground crew. But I would also tune to LVK ground, with a handheld operated by the ground crew. If there's a real fire they (LVK ground) can get the fire trucks over there pretty fast. Your first priority would be fuel off, then exit as fast as possible.

Ray,

As suggested above I would work out simple hand signals with the ground crew. But I would also tune to LVK ground, with a handheld operated by the ground crew. If there's a real fire they (LVK ground) can get the fire trucks over there pretty fast. Your first priority would be fuel off, then exit as fast as possible.

Bob, you bring up a great point!

A friend went as far as inviting the local fire department and EMT's out for his first flight. They were more than happy to come out and they learned a great deal about small airplanes from his pre and post-flight briefings.

Well this is ways off for me, but I tend to think ahead on these types of things. I also tend to be cautious. Lol. Says the guy who is building a kit plane.

The thing that got me the most on one of the YouTube videos was the fire extinguisher sitting in the background.

I realize I'm a newbie at some of this stuff but I'll tend to err on the side of caution.

Back