What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground strap differences

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I notice that on the Van's electrical drawings, for the tricycle gear setup, it has a 2 AWG wire connected to the firewall as ground. But for the traildragger setup (the battery box to the left of the recess), it shows what appears to be a braided strap. Two different part numbers.

Why?

I ask because even though I have a tricycle gear, I'm using the taildragger setup.

I remember looking at this...

I am building a -6A...and am only a couple of hours away from completing all of the wiring.

I think you will find that the short GND wire brade connects from the GND terminal of the battery to an area just above the GND battery post. If I had seen this solution when I was working on the firewall punch-through's, and understood the concept, I would have done the short brade wire solution.

As it was, I implemented my engine GND, battery GND, and airframe firewall GND as shown on one of the wiring kit drawings...low on the LHS of the firewall. In this location, I ended up using "more" large cable than if I had optioned for the short brade solution.

Also, I can not see how the short brade solution interferes with anything that I have firewall forward.

I dont think the electrons care which strap you use.

Whichever works best for you should do just fine.

Back