What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground run and LDG distance at MTOW

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi there,

did anyone ever validate the ground run and landing distance at MTOW?
They seem terribly short. I have to write an article and want to make sure that these values are actually achievable or if this is a more calculated value. Tried to go flying today but the weather didn't permit it besides a single circuit.

Regards
Mike

I did not and will not attempt a 650' landing distance unless I have an emergency. I also would not try it with the wheel pants on. 1000' with the family at gross weight is about my minimum, but normally I just let it roll out to 2000-2500' and turn off mid-field. My pads have only worn 1/16" in 120 hrs.

We have done some testing, and the published numbers are, at least close, achievable, but as Wayne mentioned, it's much easier on the brakes and wheel pants to use more runway. You really have to be on your game to get it down and stopped that short, but it can be done. The takeoff, if using proper short field technique, can be done as well.

Thanks Jesse
I will have to validate the numbers for my AFM and it is part of the test flight program. I won't use this as standard operation procedure but have to proof that it can be done.

Many thanks
Mike

Thanks Jesse
I will have to validate the numbers for my AFM and it is part of the test flight program. I won't use this as standard operation procedure but have to proof that it can be done.

Why not declare longer distances in your AFM? Pick distances that you are comfortable you can achieve without too high a stress level on either pilot or aircraft, and that are compatible with the airfields you plan to operate from.

Back