What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Power Units

BradC

What is the general consensus on using the lycoming and continental ground power unit engines as cores to build airworthy engines. Specifically I am looking at a continental O-470 that was used in a GPU or APU role for the duration of its life. I have the choice of several but I view them all as nothing more than good starting point cores. As well, I do recognize that I will be starting from scratch for accesories as it only comes with one mag, and a non-aircraft carburator. Also, I plan on going with a fixed pitch prop. The reason I am considering it is the price for the core, with a guarantee on the crankshaft, case and jugs is 1K. Any and all opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

ground power units O-470

Sensible plan is an old O-470 aero and your ground O-470. It won't build full certified and you should detail parts numbers. Green: ground units are often low time. Red: If you don't find the parts cheaply, you can be dragged over the coals. Be advised that the O-470 is a spectacular engine, but you'll need stewardesses when your plane's done.

O-470 is a great engine, but it's way to heavy an RV. I don't know if thats what your planning on using it on. Parts should be easy to find, if not exactly cheap. I don't know the details of the -470 GPU converstion, but the Lycoming O-290 coversion is pretty straight forward.

Back