What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground handling

Ted Westerman

I'm New Here
I am a new( to me) RV6A owner...what is the secret to moving the A/C with the tow bar..impossible to move backward without the nose wheel crabbing and jamming...

SLOW

You have to move slowly going backwards. If you have any momentum don't try to turn!!

I have never used a tow bar on my 6A. It has never been off of hard surface.

1. Maintain breakout force.

2. Maintain tire pressures.

3. You must start pushing with the wheel in line. Correct alignment in the direction you are heading as soon as you see the tire swing.

Shut down with the nose wheel in line will help. It's just a learning curve.

Do not let your tail dragger friends show you how to push down on the emp faring and push the a/c back with the nose off the ground.

I have to do a lot of backwards pushing with my 6A, with the tow bar, of course. For me, the trick is to use the tow bar strictly for steering (with as little steering input as you can get away with), and push on the base of a prop blade for propulsion. Works much better than pushing on the tow bar. Don't know if this would be recommended with a constant speed prop/hub; mine is a FP Sensenich.

Just guessing here, but it sounds like your nosewheel swivels very freely. If so, it's likely that the breakout force is too low and needs tightened (see Vans instructions or search VAF for procedure).

I have to do a lot of backwards pushing with my 6A, with the tow bar, of course. For me, the trick is to use the tow bar strictly for steering (with as little steering input as you can get away with), and push on the base of a prop blade for propulsion. Works much better than pushing on the tow bar. Don't know if this would be recommended with a constant speed prop/hub; mine is a FP Sensenich.

Agree. Also helps to look up and line up the tail with a point in the background that you want to head towards rather than staring down at the nose wheel. Small, immediate corrections work best. Kind of like flying - takes awhile to learn how to be ahead of the airplane.

Back