What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground cooling!

ok3

Ok guys, with the canopy closed on the ground, the RV-12 is hot! (even with the vents open) To remedy the problem , I have come up with a spring loaded block that holds open the canopy a small amount allowing prop air to cool the cockpit. just hold the block down and the weight of the canopy holds it in place. Just push up on the canopy and the block flips up out of the way. With the block in place, the canopy is stable between the aft guide blocks. The spring is cut to the right length after installation and the last eye is bent 90 deg for the screw. The pictures in the link show it all. https://picasaweb.google.com/nctaylor1/20110328#

The handle is designed to do this exact same thing. We put some of the sticky sided soft velcro in the roll bar area where the handle sits so it won't scratch the paint.

Neat idea. I use the canopy handle for that purpose. Might rub roll bar a bit, but it won't hurt anything. I do only perform the handle pop up routine after landing tho. I like to lock it up for the outgoing travel so I can't forget to lock it before t.o.
Dick Seiders

Just before taking the runway for takeoff

Fuel - on
Flaps - set
Canopy - closed
Trim - set
Choke - in

Do this in a flow before you touch the throttle taking the runway.

and then once you're airborne you climb to 9.5 (or higher) where the temps are so much nicer!

Pete

C,C,M,F,F,T

Careful - Canopy
Choices - Choke
Makes - Mags
Flying - Flaps
Fun - Fuel
Today - Trim

CAREFUL CHOICES MAKES FLYING FUN TODAY......works for me.:)

Back