What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Groovy Tools to Buy

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Part of the fun of building is the groovy new tools we can buy. Here is one some may not realize it exists, but comes in VERY handy in an RV12 build, it will hold a washer so you can put it in that small crack called for in the plans. Beats trying to superglue washers to parts. I picked mine up at Avery Tools at Oshkosh.
5pr0cj.jpg
[/IMG]

...or make

The Washer Wrench set is a very nice, high quality tool and I have it. It is quite expensive. However, there are wrench sizes included that I never needed on my RV-12 build and the sizes you do need you will only need once or twice. As an alternate it is possible to fabricate up some homemade tools to do the same job. Maestro Jim Cone showed me some of his homemade tools and I drew a plan:
512068932_Z9urY-M.jpg

Tony

I forgot to mention they are expensive, around $40 as I recall. Another drawback is already I have found washers that the tool is not cut to support, so you may have to make your own anyway. I like the bolt tool, got to make me one of those.

Last edited:
Axle Grease

That is not cheap. I scraped some old wheel bearing grease off from the tractor and used that to hold the washers. :D
Joe Gores

I use 3m 77 spray adhesive from Home Depot or office supply stores. Great for many many uses. Another great is a long set of hemostats. They sell at the tool guys at airshows. Note: Will be flying RV12Viking next week. Ron Russ

I am so happy to know you are days away from first flight Ron. I am also envious that I could not be the first to fly an RV12 Viking. being second or third will have to be good enough I guess.
Do keep us informed of the intoxicated high you will experience!

Back