What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grooved Trailing Edge

joedallas

Well Known Member
Has anyone had experience with a grooved trailing edge landing gear for the brake lines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Groove and Grove

Thanks for the response

I was talking with Rob at Grove and they gun-drill or cut a groove in there landing gear.
I bought the cutter that he told me to use for my mill and I will cut a 3/16 groove in the trailing edge of my gear and use Nylo-Seal type "NNR line and Grove brakes I think.
I will post this process on the Alterations link on my web site.

http://www.groveaircraft.com/gundrill.html
http://www.groveaircraft.com/5series.html
http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/alterations_01.htm

Last edited:
Thanks Joe

Thanks for the list of alterations - In my opinion, that list is almost priceless - wish that others would list their changes also. I owe you several for not only that list but for your thorough build log. Thanks again.

Insignificant in my view

The groove will be on the trailing edge ( compressive load while braking) and in the NA of the main load while landing.
Insignificant in my view

Joe,

Aren't you concerned about creating a stress riser by grooving the gear legs?

Rich

The groove will be on the trailing edge ( compressive load while braking) and in the NA of the main load while landing.
Insignificant in my view

The true neutral axis is directly down the center of the thickness of the gear leg.
You said the slot would have to be .188", so that means there will be removal of material .095" each side of the neutral axis. So it will be having some level of impact on the leg stiffness. Not a huge amount I admit, but it will have some effect none the less.

Hopefully you are planning to use a ball type end mill so that the bottom of the slot has a radius?

Seems like a lot of effort to me (and some small level of risk), when if you don't like the line visible, you could just install leg fairings like others have done.

Building EAB the reason for the EAA

With all due respect Scott I am building EAB because I have a background of being different ( and bull headed). I don't like building the same thing that everyone else is building. I get more pleasure designing and building then I do from flying and I like flying.

Your math on neutral axis is almost correct however you fail to mention that the distance from the NA is a function of multiplication. The area closest to the NA is Insignificant compared to the material further from the NA ( Bar joist have a top cord and a bottom cord with big holes in the NA )

And I don't like tie wraps holding the airplane together ( a bit of exaggeration )

The slot will be about .140 deep and 187.5 wide with a bottom radius of 3/32 and end radius of 1.5"

And this is not an endorsement on My Design
I don't mind the extra effort and the small small small risk

Scott don't get me wrong your opinion is appreciated and respected.
Thanks for your View

The true neutral axis is directly down the center of the thickness of the gear leg.
You said the slot would have to be .188", so that means there will be removal of material .095" each side of the neutral axis. So it will be having some level of impact on the leg stiffness. Not a huge amount I admit, but it will have some effect none the less.

Hopefully you are planning to use a ball type end mill so that the bottom of the slot has a radius?

Seems like a lot of effort to me (and some small level of risk), when if you don't like the line visible, you could just install leg fairings like others have done.

Last edited:
Your math on neutral axis is almost correct however you fail to mention that the distance from the NA is a function of multiplication. The area closest to the NA is Insignificant compared to the material further from the NA ( Bar joist have a top cord and a bottom cord with big holes in the NA )

I actually didn't mention any math.
I fully understand that the chosen slot location has the least effect because the material removal is near the N.A. but you are removing some from outside of the true N.A. so that is why I said....

"Not a huge amount I admit, but it will have some effect none the less."

Just getting started

This is all I have until I get some samples of the brake line I will use.

A_11_01_01.jpg

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_11_01.htm

Nice setup! :)

I bought one of the Harbor Freight lathe/milling machine combos, but I've never mastered the milling part.

Back