What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gretz Pitot Questions

Rupester

Well Known Member
I'm well along with the install of my Gretz heated pitot; bracket is drilled, dimpled primed...everything fits .. looking good. It occurred to me at 4:00am this morning (c'mon - admit it- you have those nights too :)) that the final installation - including tightening the 1/4" fittings - will have to be done thru the access cover. Do ya'll agree wi'dat? From what I see, the bottom skin has to go on over the mounting bracket and plate, and then the pitot itself must go in. Tell me there's an easier way.

Correct. Rivet bottom skin on, install bracket, install pitot tube. I bent the tubing on the pitot tube toward the access hole, so it wasn't too hard to get at.

Argghhh. I was afraid of that. Now I have to rethink my circuit board bracket, since it was going to obscure the big lightening hole I now know I need to access the 1/4" fittings. Looks like another 3:30am problem solving session. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the affirmation, Dave.

TR

Here you go

I just did this yesterday...
http://www.flightinnovations.com/wings4.html#Gretz_Pitot_Install

Don't forget to dimple the (4) #8 screw holes for attaching the mount in the bottom skin before you have the bottom skin half-riveted to the wing... Those two top (forward-most) holes can't be reached with a squeezer.
071104b_small.JPG

I riveted the bottom skin about halfway and, while peeling the skin back, connected the pitot tube to the plastic pitot line and safety wired.
071104c_small.JPG

Back