What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gretz Heated Pitot Tubes

Bart

Well Known Member
I noticed on the Stein Air website that the Gretz Heated Pitot Tube is not available. Is there a suitable substitute for this product? It says temporary so maybe it was just a supply issue? Anyone know anything about that?

Also if someone used the Gretz Pitot Tube Mount for RV's and had a quick-build wing did you find that you could install the mount without drilling a panel out?

gretz

A couple things...
I found a gretz pitot here at vaf that got me going. Gretz stopped making them. Said they sold it...but who knows, they only make the mast. DYNON makes a nice one as do others if that works. Safe air or one of those aftermarket places started making them too i think. Someone else can help on that.
As for mounting it, no issue at all as the location is under the one skin that is not attached. I did find that an airnibbler was VERY helpful for cutting out the odd shape. Do a google on gretz pitot and you will find lots of good builders logs that detail the install. A few pics of the process really helps. Its a half day job if you are pokey like me.

I bought my Gretz from Stein a year ago and had no trouble installing it in a QB wing. Piece o' cake. ;)

Here's a quote right off the Gretz web site. I haven't followed up, though, to find out the new owner's intentions and timeline.

NOTICE: Good News!!

The heated Pitot tube part of Gretz Aero, LLC has sold to a new owner! This transfer of this part of the business has taken place and the new owner of the production rights is in the process of starting production of the GA-1000. It will not be long before the GA-1000 and the GA-500 are again available under a different ownership. I hope you will be content in waiting a short time until everything is back up and running. Thank you to all of you who have contacted me and want to purchase the GA-1000 or GA-500 and are waiting until it is in production again. I am in contact nearly every other day with the new owner, he is ready to start accepting phone calls and email.

The contact information you will need in order to purchase a GA-1000 or a GA-500 is as follows:

Angus Aviation Pty Ltd

Andrew Leopold

Level 1, 129 Greenhill Road

Unley 5069

South Australia

Tel: 011 61 8 83571842

Fax: 011 61 8 83571899

Email: [email protected]

www.angusaviation.com

I purchased a Dynon heated pitot/AoA with a Gretz mount from Aircraft Spruce. Pretty straight forward and fairly easy to install. My only mistake was putting it where Van recommends his go - just inside the aileron bell crank. Put it outside the aileron bell crank or the push tube will interfere.
John

...but if you put it outside, the tiedown will interfere. It's not much trouble to route the tubes around the pushrod.

pitot tube routing

Could you guys explain a bit where you routed the pitot tubes for the gretz pitot? Did you run through the tooling holes in the forward part of the ribs? Did you make new holes? Aren't there two tubes for the gretz? thanks for showing us.

Gretz only has one hole, for pitot. The Dynon has 2--the other is for AOA. I think there are other pitot tubes that also have a static port.

I used the safeair1 pitot and AOA kits for my Dynon pitot tube. I ran both the AOA and pitot lines through the same hole in each rib. This hole+snap bushings were already installed in my QB wing kit. Interestingly, the two tubes wouldn't fit with the Van's snap bushings, but I had others with the same outer diameter and a larger inner diameter, and they worked great.

will try to add a picture later.

-Rob

Back