What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Greetings

Clyde

I'm New Here
Greetings Friends,
Been reading this site for quite a while now but just now came up with a question I hope I can get answered. I've also had a few other things I've wondered about that I'll address also.

I've completed both the Horizontal and Vertical Stabilizers for my -7 and am ready to rivet the trailing edge of the rudder. The instructions call for you to use epoxy to bond the componenets together and hold it straight by drilling into a straight piece of rigid angle aluminum and using clecos. I'm good with that and that's the plan. Unfortunately, tomorrow I leave to go back to work in Africa and will be gone until the 26th of October. My question is: should I go ahead and use the epoxy and bond the components and let it cure for the month that I'll be gone, or just wait until I get back to do this step? Either way I won't attempt the double flush riveting until I get back next month.

2. I plan to go all out for day/night VFR/IFR and will need lights on the rudder. I've read where you can go ahead and put a string in before you close up the rudder in order to pull the wire for lights. Where should the wiring for the lights go? Will the wiring come through the bottom of the rudder to the top? What size hole should be drilled to accomodate the wiring. Can anybody provide some instructions on the where and how to of this wiring?

3. I've also read where builders have inspections by EAA Technical Advisors. Is this a requirement or just a 'best practice' type of thing. If required or even if not, how would I locate someone to do this?

4. Never had a ride in a RV and wonder if there's anyone in Western Oklahoma I could come visit. I currently own a C150 that I bought when the C310 got too expensive for me to operate.

Thanks in advance for any help and information.

Clyde:

Your tail light wires run through the bottom fiberglass fairing of the rudder. I recommend you hold off installing the fairing until you get the fuselage done so you can plan your wire run with a bit more clarity.

Glue your rudder up now and have it ready to drill once you return.

Get an inexpensive (non-aircraft grade) sacrificial aluminum angle from a hardware store for your rudder jig.

Not sure if the Tech Advisor visits are mandatory or optional. I think I heard 3 were required but it may be hearsay. Optional or mandatory, THEY ARE A PRUDENT INVESTMENT FOR SAFETY.

Jekyll

Last edited:
2 things to add:

1) Boelube the angle. It'll make it much easier to remove the rudder when you get back :)

2) I got my angle pre-drilled from a buddy who just finished his -7 rudder. People share wing jigs, fuse jigs, etc. I'm surprised they aren't passing around rudder angles yet! Ask around first. You may get lucky.

Tech counselor inspections are not mandatory, but your inspector will be MUCH more comfortable if you can show him at least 3. You can find tech counselors from the EAA website.

Back