What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Greensboro NC PIREPS

bjb3013

Well Known Member
PIREPS,
I will be attending a soccer tournament at the end of the month in Greensboro NC. Air harbor (W88) is the best located but has no rental cars or approaches. Hoping to keep drive to a minimum.
Looking at Rockingham (8NO) which seems to fit the bill .
Piedmont Triad (GSO) also possible but seems to be $$$
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
BB

2A5 - Causey Airport

BB,
Check out Causey field. Friendly service, cheaper fuel. Cant help you with approaches. This is where I am staging my RV in July between my move from CA to RI (Oshkosh in there too!! )

Dan

I've flown into GSO and found it to not be too bad. Approach/tower was easy to work with and ground queried if it was my first time there and gave progressive instructions even though I didn't ask for it. I went with Atlantic Aero just because I felt they were more geared to smaller aircraft. I haven't really heard anything negative about the other FBO. If I remember the fuel was a tad bit pricey, but I think that was offset with reduced or waivered ramp fees. The service was fantastic. On the way out tower cleared me for a intersection departure straight out to the west on the intersecting runway away from the big iron. It's been a few years, but from what I remember, the experience wasn't bad. I wish I could report the same about AVL (Asheville), It looks uglier there everyday for GA.

I hangar my 8A at GSO with Landmark FBO. The staff there is helpful and will treat you right but as you noted the tie down and fuel will be high, however you should be able to get a hangar for a few nights if you want and the passenger terminal is close so a cheap rental car will be available.
The Triad airport is also only a few minutes from anywhere in Greensboro. The GSO controllers are great to work with and are familer with RV's

Other options are Shilo (SIF), Lexington (EXX), Ashboro (HBI) and Twin Lakes (8A7), These options will be cheaper but 45 min to 1 hr. away from Greensboro. Somebody mentioned Causey but the two times I've been there the place was deserted and I couldn't get fuel.

I'd stay away from Air Harbor (rough) or Winston, KINT (expensive and still 30 min. away).

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

8A7 Twin Lakes

I am based at 8A7 which is 40 miles from GSO (I work there), but Twin Lakes has 100LL at 5.50, and I can also get you in a hangar with my -4. Send me a PM if interested and I can give you more details.

Back