What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great RV Saturday

petehowell

Well Known Member
Today was a perfect cool, crisp autumn day in Minnesota, and Kate and I had a destination! Doug Weiler, RV Club President, CFI to the stars(and flunkies like me), and all around great guy, retired from his job driving 757's for NWA a few weeks ago. Today was his retirement party at Lake Elmo.

We launched about noon and leaded north to see if we could pick up some fall colors. We wandered up the St. Croix river with soon to be -7A driver Bernie Weiss and his wife Debbie flying high and behind in their Bonanza. Alex and Gerry Peterson soon joined the fun in their -6A. Kate manned (girled?) the camera while I flew low and slow over the valley. The colors soon began to show....

Doug%20Party_101.JPG

Doug%20Party_111.JPG

The colors confirmed, we flew some loose formation with Alex and Bernie on the way to Lake Elmo. Gerry Peterson snapped this pic of Kate allegedly having a pretty good time.

PA041103.jpg

Off to the Party and some 757 cake - this may be the real reason Kate came along......

Doug%20Party_139.JPG

We met lots of nice people at the party, here I check out new buddy Rachel out in the -9A cockpit. After about 10 seconds, she told her dad to build one!
Doug%20Party_169.JPG

Continued........

Last edited:
Saturday Part II

I mentioned Bernie is about to become a -7A driver, as his plane is nearly done(and it is amazing). I did not realize that his wife Debbie had never flown in a -7A. Well, Tom Berge corrected that minor oversight today.

Doug%20Party_192.JPG

Doug%20Party_194.JPG

The ride was a big hit, and we see many happy RV trips for the lucky couple.

All too soon, it was time to depart, and we got a great send off from Beth and Peter Fruehling, another soon to be -7 couple.

Doug%20Party_207.JPG

We flew back to Anoka, cleaned off the bugs, and drove home to see Mom. Not a bad day for a 10 year old........... or her dad ;)

Doug%20Party_226.JPG

Here is the link to the rest of the pictures -

See ya!

Last edited:
Tnanks Pete

Inspirational! I will continue with great RV Sunday in the shop - still wheel fairings...

It was GREAT to see everyone yesterday and honor one of our areas great RV evangelists and former 757 drivers. Doug and Jean threw one heck of a party with great food and a several first time RV rides thanks to both Tom and Doug!

Thanks for everything!!!

- Peter

PS - Pete I appreciate the optimism about Beth and I "soon to be a -7 couple" but we're still sticking to "someday will be a -7 couple"! :rolleyes:

I took my grand daughter for her first flight yesterday. It is fun to get kids involved in flying. Beautiful pics!

This is what it is all about

Pete and Kate,
Great pictures. Thanks for reminding all of us what is important. Good friends and flying A perfect day also helps. It was Debbie's first trip in an RV and her exact words upon exiting were "Weeeeeeeee" Thanks to Tom for giving her her first ride. Sometime soon I will be able to take her up in our plane. Sending in the FAA paperwork tomorrow.

Back