What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great port in the storm!

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
On Sunday three rockets, myself, Wayne Hadath, and Jim and Wilma Winnings headed out from Taylor Tx to try and get home. Skies were overcast at 2000agl with at least 15 miles in vis. Our direct track home, NE, would not allow us to get very far and so we headed West and North to try and get past a cold front and then try and turn east bound. As we approached the front the ceiling lowered and we landed at Brownsville Tx and waited for an hour or so. Off we went again over some pretty desolate country under a deck with great visibility. Again sky conditions pushed us down into Tawanga OK KJWG. As we were on downwind Wayne mentioned that there did not appear to be any fuel pumps but it was time to get on the ground and make plans as we still had enough fuel to move to another airport if required. Once on the ground the place was locked down pretty tight. There was a phone number to call in the window but no area code? Anyways, three rockets landing at a small airport always tends to bring a crowd and the locals showed up followed by the 88 year old fuel pump truck driver. The truck was new, relative to he, but at least 50 years old. It worked and we were soon on our way. Next stop for lowered ceilings and the end of daylight was Lees Summit MO. KLXT. No sooner had we landed then Bill Gill introduced himself. He is part of the active local chapter 91 EAA and proceeded to find us space in one of their THREE hangars. It was heated and we were given the airport car and directions to a great Hampton Inn hotel. Life is good! What a great bunch of guys at Lees Summit; this is the place that you need to get stuck at in bad weather and we can not thank them enough for their help and support.
Weather just did not co-operate and we were three nights there and left VFR over the top yesterday for a three hour flight home. One hour was spent over a solid deck in beautiful blue skies. Of interest was that on two occasions the gps showed a river below and the clouds were distinctly different over the river. Ceilings were in the 1000 to 1200 foot range and I suspect about 500 feet thick. It is interesting to see that the difference in river heat would show in the clouds that high up.
My customs stop in London ontario was a breeze as I was able to phone customs after clearing the runway and do my customs clearance using the bluetooth through my PS engineering audio without having to shut down the engine or break radio contact with ground control. The bluetooth is a great tool. 2352 nm total trip 13.5 hours for an average speed of 174 knots. I had 40 knots on the nose the whole way down to Texas and a 10 knot headwind for at least half the homebound route. Rockets rule!

Back