What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Graphite in fuel??

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I'm looking at a fuel caddy-- most reviews say it's great for cars, motorcycles, etc but one buyer says that the graphite pump vanes wear continuously leaving a fine graphite powder that will settle out in the bottom of a container. He claims that a 1 micron filter won't catch them. Is a graphite powder (small amout, apparently) that small a contaminent for our Rotax carburetors or will it pass through the gascolator filter and the carbs with no problem? Thoughts for experienced Rotax operators?

Thanks

Wayne 12o241

Filter that fuel

I would put a fuel filter in the caddy fuel line. I assume you are on a budget. If not then go to tractor supply and they have every thing you need to build up a fuel transfer tank set up. Here is the web page for locations in Dayton Ohio, http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreLocatorSearchAndResultsView
If you are on a budget then you can buy an in line filter from auto supply for your caddy. You dont want any contaminates in you fuel what so ever. Its not worth the risk.

John
RV12 N1212K

Another design

I?m not an experienced Rotax user, but I have looked at a lot of the fuel caddy designs and not found one that meets my needs. So as you do, I designed my own.

It will be 3x20litre heavy duty plastic jerry cans mounted on a trolley, with a rotary drum pump and a filter mounted on the trolley frame. The jerry cans will sit in a cradle. The metal pickup tube will have a hose to the pump and will be moveable from jerry can to jerry can. The output hose will have a u-shaped metal end.

Pump and filter possibilities
Alemite 501A
Gepasa BRM-88
AlemiteA-FA2
Baldwin BF 914

I can?t use a trailer; new airport security prevents me from taking a vehicle across to the hangar. Jerry cans I can lift without risk of injury and they will fit in the boot (trunk?) of a car.

Also I will have robust containers to take on longer trips where fuel is hard to get.

Most of my flights will be short, so I only need to throw an empty jerry can in the car for fill up when I go to a petrol station.

So that?s the theory. All comments and suggestions will be welcome. I will post some pics when it?s done.

Rod

Line filter won't work

The single person who posted the negative on this caddy said that the graphite particles pass through a 1 micron filter, so there's no way an in-line filter will do any good.

Wayne

He claims that a 1 micron filter won't catch them. Is a graphite powder (small amout, apparently) that small a contaminent for our Rotax carburetors or will it pass through the gascolator filter and the carbs with no problem? Wayne 12o241

I'm not a rotax operator but a 1 micron filter is a super super fine filter. I use a 74 micron which I believe is the same as the Andair gascolator. I can't imagine the need to filter particles that small or that something that small could possibly cause any problem.

Just my opinion..

Back