What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Exuma Bahamas Trip Advice

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I'm looking for advice for a planned trip to Grand Exuma the first week of August.

• Where do most people depart from? Any recommendations on routing to stay closer to land / runways?
  • I assume we can rent a life vest from an FBO where we depart?
  • How far does the XM weather work (or not work)?
  • Can we just clear customs in Grand Exuma, or do we need to stop Nassau?
  • Any other general advice on what to bring or other recommendations?

I'm just starting to plan the trip. As of now, it seems like departing Homestead and going Homestead > Nassau > Exuma may be a good option. Flew to Key West a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. If anyone else is interested in heading that way, I'd open to caravaning.

Thanks,
Scott
7A

Some info

I'm looking for advice for a planned trip to Grand Exuma the first week of August.

• Where do most people depart from? Any recommendations on routing to stay closer to land / runways?

We departed from Ft. Pierce. Great FBO with a small,restaurant right next door to Customs. This location lets you fly nonstop to the Exumas mostly island hopping near airports.
  • I assume we can rent a life vest from an FBO where we depart?

Ft Pierce Jet Center rents life vests and rafts if you need them.
  • How far does the XM weather work (or not work)?

XM weather works most if not all the way down. We also picked up ADSB about 200 miles off the Florida coast.
  • Can we just clear customs in Grand Exuma, or do we need to stop Nassau?

You can just clear in at both FBOs in the Exumas when you land. Their staffs cleared us in and out. No hassle at all. New fees just went into effect July 1.
  • Any other general advice on what to bring or other recommendations?

I'm just starting to plan the trip. As of now, it seems like departing Homestead and going Homestead > Nassau > Exuma may be a good option. Flew to Key West a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. If anyone else is interested in heading that way, I'd open to caravaning.

Thanks,
Scott
7A

Answers inserted above..

I like the theory of starting in central or eastern FL so that you can be at 10,000+ ft when you head out over the water.

The only time I did it was from W. Palm Beach with a 19 year old flight instructor and we were young and stupid and didn't know any better...:D

Here is the Official Bahamas Tourism website with a few good procedures.
http://www.bahamas.com/private-flying
We are doing Marsh Harbour first week of August and we leave from Orlando.
I have the same theory as Gill. get altitude before crossing the coast.
We try to keep the track over land or within gliding distance within reason.
Don't stop in Nassua.
We use Ft. Pierce for customs on the way back. Much better that West Palm.

I assume the Customs Border Protection decal is required?

Does anyone know how far down the APRS tracker typically works? Debating the value of a PLB.

Anyone have experience with ADS-B coverage at altitude in the area?

Thanks,
Scott

I assume the Customs Border Protection decal is required?

Does anyone know how far down the APRS tracker typically works? Debating the value of a PLB.

Anyone have experience with ADS-B coverage at altitude in the area?

Thanks,
Scott

We all had CBP stickers. It's required to fill out the EAPIS online form.

I had APRS hits very strong until Nassau and then sporadically after that, but in the Exumas got hits.

ADSB worked about 200 miles out off the Florida coast.

It's a pretty ride.

Back