What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS signal and metallic paint

jrouault

Well Known Member
Patron
For those of you that have mounted your GPS antenna under the cowl or under a fiberglass access panel, have you found that metallic paint on these surfaces degrades the signal?

I have two GPS antennas and a weather receiver under a fiberglass access panel on the front deck. These antennas have functioned perfectly in this location. However, my plane is now in the paint shop and I am wondering if the JetGlo metallic paint that will be used will affect performance of these antennas.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,
I recently researched this on VAF and the conclusion I seem to remember is that it is not a problem. I think the search terms I used were "GPS antenna cowl" or something like that. From what I remember, either there is not enough metal in the paint or what they are using is not really metal. I am putting my antennas under the cowl as well.

I hope this helps.

Metalics

I don't think any of the current JetGlo products have metal metalic in them. We used to have to be careful lest a metalic stripe on a radome would attenuate the radar, but it isn't an issue any more.

No problem..

...since my buddy has a silver paint on his -4. I've flown it many times and the 496 acquires satellites quickly and wx comes in with no problem either.

Regards,

Metallics

It is my understanding, after a discussion with a DuPont rep, that modern metallics use a polymer similar to Mylar in there flake metallics. If so, it doubt it would cause an issue with signal transparency. I have my GPS puck on the firewall, so it sees the sky through my cowl. All was perfect until I added some heat reflective sticky back aluminum stuff to the top cowl. On the next flight, my GPS was very quiet!! Felt like an idiot......

Regards,
Chris

Back