What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gps reception question

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Garmin 496, standard antenna under an RV-9a cowl. I get decent but occasionally intermittent reception in my wood frame asphalt shingled garage at home, and zero reception in my all metal (steel) hanger with the door closed. Obviously I would not be flying in those conditions. I do get nice reception outside, but it doesn't max out the strength indicators on the 496. Is there any reason to consider the reception a problem at this time? Are these performance levels normal? I'm leaning toward yes, gps signals aren't that strong, especially on a cold gps. Thoughts? I'm about to button things up, so past here is a hassle. Rick

Yep, very few GPS' will work inside an all metal hanger, a wood structure does attenuate the signal also. Sounds about right to get strong but not max SNR's outside.

Go fly.

Under the cowl

I am flying a 9A with the 496 antenna on a shelf under the cowl and there are times when the signal falls off. I also have the XM antenna in the same location and I shuffle them around once in a while to try to improve the reception. Currently, the GPS is holding the signal and the XM drops off.

Strangely, on my RV4 the same unit with the "stick" antenna never had any issues.

I am considering moving one or both antennas to the glare shield.

Your mileage may vary.

Back