What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS into autopilot.....

txaviator

Well Known Member
I have yet to do any autopilot research, as I am a long way away from that point. However, I am planning to buy a new GPS unit very soon.

Question: the portable GPS units (Garmin, Lowrance, etc.).....they essentially wire into an autopilot unit via the NMEA output, correct?

I am looking at the Lowrance 1000 and 2000c, and wanted to be sure that the factory outputs would allow for simple autopilot integration?

I have flown with a friend who has the 2000c, and I like the larger screens of the Lowrance units. Plus, for $849, the color unit is very affordable with many features. I just wanted to be sure about the autopilot (future) hookup. Can anyone elaborate on the connections to autopilot from portable GPS units?

Many thanks, in advance!

Your best bet would be to call the autopilot MFG of your choice and ask them how the GPS's interface and what is needed. They can tell you best what works well and advise you on the best choices. Some of the GPSs out there require additional interfaces and can become more expensive than a good panel mount that is ready to go with the autopilot.

I was looking at the Skymap for a while. Then I realized with the external antenna, AP interface and mounting trays that were additional extras, the KMD150 was cheaper, cause everything was included.

Roberta

Thanks, Roberta. I did some enhanced research and found that the Lowrance units do come with a remote external antenna, and that the comm ports are in place. Granted, I will need an interface down the line, but it doesn't appear too expensive. I appreciate your input, and it also 'reminded me' to do a search within these forums, where I also found additional information.

You bought a NICE GPS. Even though I can get that same unit at a fraction of retail (I work for Honeywell), I just can't justify the dramatic cost increase, and would like to be able to use a portable model in the meantime while building.

Thanks again,

Autopilot interface with Lowrance GPS's

The only interface needed to connect any of the Lowrance units to an autopilot such as the EZ-Pilot, DigiTrak, etc is a cable available from Lowrance. This cable plugs into the round receptacle on the back of the Airmap units and includes leads for GPS power and NMEA output. The NMEA out is a single wire that goes directly to the NMEA input on the autopilot. If the GPS is running on the aircraft bus, it probably won't even be necessary to connect the signal ground wire.

The Airmap 1000 and 2000C can be powered directly from the aircraft bus since they accept 12vdc. The Airmap 500 requires a power supply or the included 12v adapter cable since it will only accept 5vdc (without releasing smoke!). Radio Shack has a 5vdc regulator for less than $2 that I am using to power a PDA. If the Airmap 500 doesn't pull more than 1a, it should also work for the GPS.

I flew the Airmap 100 with the Navaid and EZ-Pilot for 650 hrs with excellent results. I now have about twenty hours with the Airmap 1000 running the EZ-Pilot and it tracks perfectly. I really like the 1000!

Sam Buchanan

Hi Sam. Thanks for the reply. Any reason you chose the 1000 over the 2000c? Just curious... I have found the 1000 for $499 and the 2000c for $849. Either one is a smoking good price! I have read numerous write-ups on both, and they got rave reviews. I am just trying to justify the extra $350 for color, although, I hear there is an add-on coming out for $195 which will add voice, terrain, and other cool features to the 2000c. Also, when looking at both units side-by-side in person, the 1000 screen is just a tad bit larger.

I'd like your thoughts on the 1000 versus the 2000c decision?

Happy fourth!

Airmap 1000 vs 2000C

Hi Sam. Thanks for the reply. Any reason you chose the 1000 over the 2000c? Just curious... I have found the 1000 for $499 and the 2000c for $849. Either one is a smoking good price! I have read numerous write-ups on both, and they got rave reviews. I am just trying to justify the extra $350 for color, although, I hear there is an add-on coming out for $195 which will add voice, terrain, and other cool features to the 2000c. Also, when looking at both units side-by-side in person, the 1000 screen is just a tad bit larger.

I'd like your thoughts on the 1000 versus the 2000c decision?

I bought the 1000 precisely for the reasons you stated! :D

When I deducted the $175 credit that Lowrance allowed for the return of my seven-year-old Airmap 100, and the fact the 1000 comes with a $100-worth of RAM mounts, the 1000 was a fantastic value. Yes, the display is a little larger than the 2000C, and best of all, the b/w graphics are ideally suited to the sunlit panels of our RVs. Instead of washing out in bright light, the b/w display just gets better as the sun shines brighter.

I had also been flying a PDA running AnywhereMap for a few years, so I felt a little naked at first without the color display. But the acclimation back to b/w occurred quickly and the PDA hasn't been in my plane for quite some time now. The huge display of the 1000 is great for my increasingly hyperopic eyes and the screen refreshes are instantaneous.

All in all, for me the 2000C was not worth the extra $$$$$ just for color and a slightly smaller display.

Sam Buchanan

Thanks, Sam

Well-stated. You have just convinced me to buy the 1000. That's the way I was leaning, and just needed someone to help 'knock a little sense into me'. As a matter of fact, I just ordered it before posting this reply.

Oh, and did you mount your 1000 in-dash? I went to your website to check it out, and couldn't find anything. The info I read from Lowrance also says that the 1000 comes standard with a remote, external antenna. Was this the case with yours?

Thanks again for the info.

Airmap 1000 mounting

Oh, and did you mount your 1000 in-dash? I went to your website to check it out, and couldn't find anything. The info I read from Lowrance also says that the 1000 comes standard with a remote, external antenna. Was this the case with yours?

Gary, the 1000 is mounted "on-dash" via a simple sheet aluminum mount that is attached to the panel. The mount takes the place of the old Airmap 100 and the PDA and orients the 1000 at an angle that makes it easy to see from the left seat. I'll try to get an updated photo of the panel on my site soon.

As previously mentioned, the 1000 is shipped with two RAM mounts that could solve many mounting issues. I fabricated my own mount since I had ample empty panel space.

The 1000 comes with an external antenna that will probably be necessary for most reliable operation. Mine is mounted on top of the glareshield.

Sam Buchanan
http://thervjournal.com

mounting the Airmap 1000

Attached is a photo of the bracket that secures the Airmap 1000 to the panel of my RV-6. I originally intended to flush mount the unit into the panel but decided to go with the bracket instead.

<edited>

Well, can't get the image file to upload. Here is a link to a couple of photos:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/airmap1000.html

Sam Buchanan

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the photos, Sam! That looks really nice.

I appreciate you remembering to forward the photo link. I have saved the pics for future reference. That's a nice, clean, functional panel.

Have a nice evening!

Back