What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Installation in bracket

meadeduck

Well Known Member
We're having difficulty installing the 495 in the opening on the panel. Also, the 'release hole' to the left of the panel is not in the proper location to align with the release tab on the gps holding bracket. When we attempted to install the GPS, it goes back to the seam of the faceplate and won't engage the attachments on the rear of the bracket. Anyone else having the same issue?
Meade and George
#16:confused:

Been talked about before

Several of us decided to just not make it removeable. you have to cut the opening quite a bit, and you are right, the release is still an issue. I don't care to remove mine, so it looks better without hacking at the opening. Your decision. Kinda like the fit of the Trans., and Radio. You have to work with things for a while ( or longer ).

John Bender

If you loosen the screws that hold the GPS holder they have enough play in them to help align the GPS with the existing hole. I had to enlarge the hole a little and study were it was hitting on the GPS. Seems the rubber gasket between the two halves was causing some real interference.

I can get mine in and out, but it is tough. An Air Gizmo will be a nice upgrade after certification. ;)

Last edited:
Mine is not removable... I started to remove material from the opening but found to make it removable the opening would be so large it would be unsightly. In fact, mine will not go fully thru the panel from the backside of the instrument panel. With the bracket not yet mounted, I snapped the GPS in the bracket and locked it. Then mounted the GPS/bracket to the panel with the 4 stand-offs and the 4 long screws.

The top of the panel will most likely have to come off for the yearly condition inspection (inspection of the engine mount, etc.) and for replacement of the ELT panel battery. So access on a yearly frequency is assured.

I might consider attaching the GPS update cable to the 496 and routing it to a bulkhead connector on the side of the mapbox after initial certification. Would make updates to the 496 easy between condition inspections. All you would need is a laptop.

Last edited:
GPS installation/removal

Thanks for the information and suggestion. I was going to enlarge the holes that hold the bracket in the back but wanted to hear back from the guys at Van's.
thanks
Meade:D

Removable 496

It can be done by...yes some widening on the right side but most important is to "notch" out a small area for the small rubber protrusion on the GPS (or remove it). Once you're done it comes out right side first, then kind of at an angle. Of course you have to punch a hole on the left side as it says to release it.

Hole

Larry,
I kinda cheated I guess. Installed it from the back as if I wasn't going to do anything. Then I identified where I needed to put the hole before I drilled it. I already knew from trial and error the angle it was going to come out at once released. If all that makes sense? I would not be a good engineer at Vans...haha.

Just wondering, how do you keep your navigation database up to date with a non-removable portable GPS? Ever since a friend fell victim to a frequency change that wasn't reflected in his outdated GPS data, I have typically updated mine every six months, when the new sectional charts come out.

mcb

Matt

I think most of us plan to remove it at annual time when the dash top is off. Marty is thinking having a cable hooked up and in the map-box.

John Bender

We drilled the GPS release hole EXACTLY where they told us and it's off by about an 8th of an inch.
Meade and George
#`16

Does anyone know why Van did not use an AirGizmo dock?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that given the fact that people are already VERY price sensitive it was a way to save the builder another hundred bucks...coupled with the fact that if you take the time you can make it removable without the dock.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
Stein

Stein

If it would have been another $100, then they made the correct decision with me. You can make it removable if you want to, just takes a lot of time.

John Bender
Engine kit shipped !

Gizmo

I agree with Stein and John. Why pay for something we can do so easily. Mine now comes out (and back in) very nicely.

Back