What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Data Out wire, 42-16, step 1, rev 8.27.09

jet

When connecting the gps out wire to the blue wire, I note that the gps wire is shielded with no instructions as to what to do with it. Any comments please. I hope I have the right wire.

John s/n 317

As I recall the shield should be stripped back sufficiently to prevent a short with the center conductor.

That shielded wire is grounded on the other end inside the panel.

Only consideration on the ELT side is don't let the shield contact the middle conductor as this will ground the GPS signal.

GPS White wire to ELT!

Peel back the shielded wire about 1/2 in, then slide some heat shrink over it. Then connect the inner wire to the blue wire. If the shield wire touches the inner wire no signal will go to the Dynon from he GPS. This has happened to several other RV12s.

John
RV12 N1212K

Hey guys, I am curious about the blue wire as I don't have one. I checked back on my plans and found I had queried Vans about step 1, rev 8/27/09 and was informed "that option was dropped so no need to be concerned about it.
I am chasing all the loose ends I can find to try and get my Dynon working so am asking all of you in this thread why this was an issue for you? My kit was purchased in July of 2008. My inquiry was made to Vans on 4/26/09. Do you have an earlier or later kit? Thanks for feedback.
Dick Seiders 120093

Hi Dick,
My Avionics kit was received in about January of 2010 and the ELT connector has a blue wire. Its my understanding that our RV-12 kit ELT's don't do anything with the GPS data, and that Van's had just been thinking ahead when they decided to wire for it(It may come in handy one day having that shielded wire ran back there with GPS data).

I am curious if you have a different colored wire, or no extra wires? If you don't have anything to connect your shielded wire with GPS data to, then I would be certain its shield is stripped back atleast a 1/4" so it can't come into contact with the center conductor and then heat shrink the entire end.

Dick You probably mean you bought your avionics kit in July 09 and queried Vans in April 2010. The early avionics kits were missing the blue wire on the ELT adaptor and replacements were sent later. Don't remember when the replacement was received. You might want to call Vans about it.

ME-183 Navigation Interface

I talked with Cobham (ELT mfg) at OSH. They sell an optional device for $200 that stores the GPS location. In the event of a crash, your GPS location is transmitted along with the distress signal. The ME-183 Navigation Interface is recommended for those flying over mountains or other hostile terrain where it is hard to see a downed plane. I do not plan to buy that option.
Joe

Me either, Joe.
MRT890 you are correct as my call to Vans was in April of 2010.
My kit never had a blue wire in the Cobham unit. That's why I called in the first place. I checked the wire today and even tho it only had a pc of vynil tape on the end it appeared to be free of contact between the shield and data wire. I did do the proper shield pullback and double shrink wrap the wire, folded it up and tucked it away in the conduit behind the spar support was it had been before. Thanks for the feedback on this issue.
Dick Seiders 120093

Back