What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna location

Has anyone located a GPS antenna forward of the firewall, just under the cowling and if so, any comments on installation, reception etc?

Thank you in advance

Terrance Medemblik
RV7 Standard Build

Has anyone located a GPS antenna forward of the firewall, just under the cowling and if so, any comments on installation, reception etc?

Thank you in advance

Terrance Medemblik
RV7 Standard Build

I have my Garmin Waas antenna mounted to a thin aluminum plate that is attached to the engine mount with two Adele clamps. No issues thus far mechanically or electrically. I only have 45 hours on the aircraft, but others have has good long term performance.

Like cfiidon, I mounted two GPS antennae on a "tray" mounted on the firewall as high as possible. No reception problems in 150 hrs.

Yep. 2 GPS and the XM antenna. No issues after 250hours.
Shelf mounted to the motor mount.

Dynon Skyview and Garmin WAAS antenna on a shelf attached to the firewall with support on the front to the motor mount...works great!

Just be sure you have clearance to the cowling, and position it so you can get the oil filter off without having to remove it, etc.

And because it's so close to the avionics, be sure you read up on *minimum* coax lengths...e.g., the Garmin 430W I have required a minimum length of something like 13' (coiled up inside, under the forward cockpit area).

Back