What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna location?

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I would like to move my GPS antenna's from the glare shield, they create a reflection on the wind screen.
Taking in account the plane is complete I am looking for options to other locations. I noticed in a picture today two GPS antenna's mounted in front of the wind screen behind the fire wall, out side of the plane. Is this a good choice, and any other ideas?
I do not have a overhead console to route cables in.
thanks for the help.
Tim

Hi Tim,

I mounted both my Garmin and Dynon GPS antennas in the engine compartment, this ensures no reflections, both antennas have no issues seeing the sky through the fiberglass cowl and the heat of the engine compartment has not bothered them in nearly 200 hrs.

Cheers

I guess it depends. If this is an IFR equipped aircraft and flown IMC. To assure the greatest signal to noise and reliability, a less stressful place (less heat, less sources of noise, and no attenuation from the FG) to mount them would be directly behind the baggage bulkhead and run the wires along the sides forward. Use a doubler plate per the installation instructions that came with the antennas. Install with RG400.

Hi Tim,

I mounted both my Garmin and Dynon GPS antennas in the engine compartment, this ensures no reflections, both antennas have no issues seeing the sky through the fiberglass cowl and the heat of the engine compartment has not bothered them in nearly 200 hrs.

Cheers

Same story except no problem in 1,000 hrs.

Top motor mount tube just forward of fw--400 hrs with no problems! Several friends have theirs in the same place. Heat is not an issue.

Cheers,

db

Tim,
None of my antennas are on the glare shield and I saved that space for later.
Like others have done, one of my GPS antennas is in the engine compartment along with the xm antenna, works very well.
My Dynon GPS antenna is in the roof just behind the pilots head and it too works very well.
Of all the antennas the GPS antenna probably creates the least drag being just a couple of inches high and barely sticking out of the boundary layer.
I can't imagine it would create any measurable drag. The roof top works great
for the Dynon in that the antenna cable consists of 4 #18 gauge wires only.
It will fit nicely down the center windshield brace, even 2 will fit along with some other wires for lighting.

I mounted mine just aft of center brace top mounting hardware. You don't need an overhead console, just a small junction box to hide hardware and short section of RG-400. It works great here too but I also like the fwf idea.

Firewall forward

Just mounted mine, so untested, however, did as many are doing. Created it for firewall forward and high under the cowl.

Easily mounted using rivnuts and a little geometry in making up the mount.

FP27092013A00029.jpg

I mounted mine on the cabin top over the pax seats in the center. I have an overhead console that hides the locknuts well and the cable which is routed forward through the center strut down to the panel.
Mike

Both mine are on the glareshield but I am not flying yet. I was concerned about the glare too.
Garmin makes a black version of their antenna and Dynon said I could paint theirs black with non metalic paint.
Edit: Just found out Garmin only sells the black antenna to military. I wonder why?
May have to move mine somewhere else, too or try the paint option even though the Garmin says "Do not paint" right on it.
Anybody else paint theirs?

Last edited:
I'm still working on the fuse, but getting to the part where I need to put in conduit and plan wiring runs. I'm thinking about trying the Comant CI 2408-201 VHF/GPS combo antenna, admittedly not cheap, and mounting the second antenna on top of the cabin. For those that have a cabin top mounted GPS, have you put in or see the need for any sort of ground plane?

==dave==

That's for all the ideas, since I have three to move I might move two FWF and one to the top.
My wife wondered what it would look like to cover them with a stretch fabric.
Might be worth trying before I move them?
On second thought probably not worth the harassing I would take when guys figured out what it was. Lol

Last edited:
I'm still working on the fuse, but getting to the part where I need to put in conduit and plan wiring runs. I'm thinking about trying the Comant CI 2408-201 VHF/GPS combo antenna, admittedly not cheap, and mounting the second antenna on top of the cabin. For those that have a cabin top mounted GPS, have you put in or see the need for any sort of ground plane?

==dave==

No ground plane and acquires satellites very quick every time. My SL-40/Com2 antenna is over rear seats with 22" X .016" alum ground plane bonded to bottom side.

Well I decided to try the quick fix, even if I decide to move them later the weather to nice now to take the plane down.
I tried my wife's idea using a stretch fabric and a temporary adhesive.
I sprayed only the back of the antenna so I could stretch the fabric to get a tight fit. The antenna's cover with a tighter fit than I thought possible (no wrinkles) and once bolted back down the material can't slip.
Here is a pic of two covered.
image_zps5ba55a76.jpg
[/URL]

After covering two I took a test flight before covering the third, check out the difference in the reflection.

Uncovered.

Covered.

The antenna's blend in well with the glare shield pad, stay cool, and no apparent reception issues.
This could be an option for anyone adding instruments to a existing panel.

Here is the temporary adhesive I used.
The adhesive is very flammable and needs time to evaporate.

Back