What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got one of them RV grins (VS completed)

Last night, I completed the VS on my -9. Just wanted to share my RV-grin with all you guys'n'gals who've gone before me... Here's me, an IT-guy in my mid 30's, with two young kids (4 & 2), previously incapable of cutting a piece of wood into two equal-sized pieces, completing the first part of my new airplane. How cool is that?

What an adventure it's been. I received my emp kit back in August, and it's been a steep learning curve ever since. I've been working simultaneously on the HS and VS, as time permitted, and picking up the gear and skills needed along the way. Some of the things I've experienced along the way:

• I attended a RV-builder workshop back in June and thought I was prepared, but fact is, having someone hand you a tool ready to go is a lot different to unpacking the tool, setting it up and using it yourself. When I unpacked the tool kit, I had no idea what everything was for.
  • Pnuematic Riveters: great time savers, but it takes only a second to add an extra hole to your VS skin.
  • Countersinking: I ruined two perfectly good spar pieces with over-sized countersinks. Practice, practice, practice ... I've got two nice pieces of scrap to practice on now.
  • Air freight to Australia is expensive: if you're going to ruin a spar piece, choose a short one, not the longest one in the emp kit you can find!
  • Plans & instructions: they exist for a reason. Give yourself two minutes to review each step, don't just assemble all parts of the VS skeleton, insert into skin, and go "How am I supposed to reach there .... oh ... right .... DOH!"
  • Drilling out rivets: see last point. Sounds hard, but really, not that difficult.
  • Primer wars. I wish there was an simple "do it this way" set of instructions (I'm an IT-guy, I like instructions). I'm using Stewart Systems Primer/Sealer for now - seems like a family friendly solution (I'm buiding in my garage), but it's not all that hard-wearing.
  • Spraying primer requires a paint booth. Don't do it without one. Most items in my garage have a light coat of powdered primer on them now.
  • Primer color: white wasn't a smart choice.

A huge thanks to all the contributors to this forum. You inspired me to begin this project, and you motivate me to continue!

Hey, how did you get ahead of me? I guess you are working instead of talking.

Congratulations.

Back