What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got a reminder today about keeping an eye out for forced landing spots

N546RV

Well Known Member
No, I didn't actually land off-airport, but I was worried about it for a bit.

I was going up for another OSH prep flight, planning to head to the local lake for some air work followed by pattern work at a local untowered field. A friend had expressed interest in flying with me, so I invited him and another friend to ride along.

Preflight, taxi, and takeoff were uneventful. There were still some low scattered clouds over PDK, so I initially leveled off at pattern altitude while heading out towards Lake Lanier. About six miles from the airport, I was out from under the clouds, so I came back in with the power to climb up to 3500', since I was planning on some stalls.

I'd made it up to about 3000' when I felt a few small jolts, almost imperceptible, but kind of like the engine momentarily lost power a couple times. I was in the middle of wondering what that was when my friend in the front seat (a mechanically smart car guy) said "Is the fuel pressure supposed to be like that?" I looked down and the needle was almost at the bottom of the gauge's range, almost in the red.

The immediate good news was that I was flying over an area with lot of large open fields, so if things went further south, I had good options. I was about ten miles out of PDK at this point, and maybe 5-6 miles north of LZU. I ran through those options in what seemed like a nanosecond, then reached over and flipped the boost pump on.

The pressure gauge immediately popped back up into the green, where it should be. With the fuel pressure stabilized, I decided to go back home instead of landing somewhere closer; that way I could get the flight school to look at the plane with a minimum of effort. (I'd already decided that I was going to be done flying once I got home)

I called up PDK tower, asked to return, explained the situation, and declined to declare an emergency. I was given the option of either of the parallel runways; I chose the 6000' 21L instead of 3500' 21R. Way more runway than I should ever need, but I figured I might as well be conservative.

Once established on the way home, I tried flipping the boost pump off a couple times, just to gather information. The first time, the pressure sagged again, but the next couple of times, it seemed fairly stable. Approach and landing were uneventful. It wasn't until I'd taxied back and was tying the plane down that I noticed my heart rate was up a bit.

Back inside, I ran into the chief instructor and told him about my flight. He said that he'd never heard of a mechanical pump failing, but agreed that I made the right decision to come back regardless. Not that I had any personal doubts about that decision, mind you; once I made the decision to go home, it wasn't going to change. Even seeing stable pressure with the boost pump off on the way back didn't make me rethink at all.

It was mostly luck that I was in an area with lots of fields when the problem happened. I have to admit that since getting my private, I've not really been good at subconsciously keeping an eye for decent landing spots, but I think this might be a bit of a wake-up call to pay more attention in the future.

I have to admit that since getting my private, I've not really been good at subconsciously keeping an eye for decent landing spots, but I think this might be a bit of a wake-up call to pay more attention in the future.

Glad you can chalk this one up to only a reminder and not the real deal. I definitely get complacent during day VFR. I get into the beauty and joy of flying and don't always stay as attentive as maybe I should in regard to forced landing spots. I commute to my home in Ga from Sc on the weekends (not as much as I'd like to now since we're knee deep in TS season, and I only have a tie down in Ga) and usually return Sunday nights after sunset. I bet I spend half the flight looking at my next forced landing spot and practicing the menu steps on my EFIS (Dynon SV) to pull up the nearest field info. Between that and the periodic local flight practicing transitioning to best glide configuration/AS, I feel like I am fairly well prepared should the worst happen. Funny how the cover of darkness really makes you think twice (and a third time) about a forced landing spot:eek:

Back inside, I ran into the chief instructor and told him about my flight. He said that he'd never heard of a mechanical pump failing, but agreed that I made the right decision to come back regardless.

A mechanical fuel pump can most definitely fail! My experience has been similar to yours, the failure first manifests itself intermittently with low pressure and loss of power. If that pump is flaky and isn't replaced another renter or student is going to have some actual scenario training. :)

fuel pump

RV, I think a 7, fatal a few years ago, mechanical pump improperly installed, some kind of a problem with the electric boost pump. Airplane crashed in an area where there are no suitable spots for emergency landing.

My mechanical carb pump failed in flight. I had just leveled out at about 7500 and got a low fuel pressure warning. I switched on the boost pump and set the autopilot. I then started playing with the pump being on or off. The failed pump would go from normal pressure to 0 and then back to normal. Of course the carb would run for a few seconds at 0 pressure.

Smart move getting back on the ground.

High Sierra fear

I returned to San Jose from Oshkosh a few years in my 6a. Smoke made me fly higher than planned. Oxygen on and wool gloves and finally on top at 18000 I passed over where I thought a lake would be. Too cold to sweat!

Hal Kempthorne
RV6a N7HK
For Sale
Www.hawksglen.org/RV6a

I just read an article in Sport Aviation about a guy who crashed because he didn't turn on his Standby pump when his engine driven pump failed. That's why I love the VP-200 that will Auto Boost if my fuel pressure drops. This only happens in a steep climb at high fuel flows, but it is nice to hear, "Auto Boost!"

Back