What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro Video to iFly 700 Display

RWoodard

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've got an iFly 700 GPS and a GoPro Hero2 video camera. For various reasons, I thought it would be nice to be able to be able to see in real time what the GoPro camera was seeing. I noticed that the iFly 700 unit has an AV-input jack and the GoPro has a composite video output jack and thought I'd try connecting the two. It worked!!

In case anyone would like to do the same thing, I've prepared a brief instruction sheet in PDF format for downloading. In the meantime, here are a few pictures:

I decided to make a 'dongle' cable so that as I move the camera around, I'll just fabricate a simple RCA patch cord.

videocables.jpg

Here's a close-up of the 2.5mm plug and the 3.5mm plug. Please note that these are not normal stereo plugs you'll find at Radio Shack. These have 3 black rings (4 conductors) instead of the 2 black rings as found on stereo plugs.

Video%20Plugs.jpg

Specific Mouser part numbers can be found in my 1-page instruction page.

Instructions

Here's a basic shot of my installation. The primary video cable is run out the left wing to a mounting point under the wing. Incidentally, I also ran what would have been the #2 headphone output from my intercom out to GoPro so I can get the radio chatter on the recording instead of the wind noise from the camera.

videoinstallation.jpg

Back